Emmaus Farm ("Haunted House")

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emmaus Farm ("Haunted House")

I am trying to find info. on this as I live only 10-15 min. from emmaus it is a little bit intriging. Anyone have any information on it or the story behind it. I'd like to at least find it, or the supposed it, but need the info. behind it to do so.

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
Re: Emmaus Farm ("Haunted House")

I didn't see it on the Shadowlands list (though there are several in allentown):
http://theshadowlands.net/places/pennsylvania.htm

You may want to contact the berks or lehigh paranormal groups, they might
know. Ghosts and haunts are questionable, but you do learn local history! i and as with everything, be sure you ask permission (you may want to ask to photograph the buildings, as it is a good way to get inside)

You may want to check out the Schambacher story on hawk mountain (still close to you!)
http://www.delcoghosts.com/hawk_mountain.html

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think HAWK MOUNTAIN is off limits to Detecting.
Animal right & all, you may dig into an ants nest,
tree root, or Cause a Hawk Mental distress & destroy
Civilization as we know it.

There was someone else asking about the Hunted house near
emmaus, But nobody seems to know where the place Sits or Sat.

I know there was a story the cache was found, but later
supposedly the Finding was Debunked.

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania

Im not sure about a haunted farm house but here is a little bit of interesting info on Emmaus, PA

History http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmaus,_Pennsylvania ; http://www.city-data.com/city/Emmaus-Pennsylvania.html

Founding
Emmaus was settled in the 1740s and dates its founding to 1759. For approximately 100 years, until the mid-1800s, it was a closed community of the Moravian Church. The original land on which the town now lies was donated by Sebastian Heinrich Knauss for use by the Moravian church. The founders and original residents of the town were members of the Lutheran and Reformed faiths, who joined the Moravian church when their own denominations were unable to provide ministers. Emmaus was one of the three leading Moravian communities in the northeast United States at the time of its founding.

1800s
Iron ore was discovered nearby in the 1800s and served as a source of industrial growth for much of the 1800s and 1900s. In 1859, the East Pennsylvania Railroad (later part of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad) brought trains to Emmaus. That same year, the town was incorporated into a borough. In 1869, the town's first blast furnace opened. The largest iron company was Donaldson Iron Company, which made cast iron pipes and other products until the company closed in 1943. During the 1800s, Emmaus was also a center of silk and cigar manufacturing.

Origin of name
The borough was named for the Israeli village of Emmaus, where, according to Christian teachings, Jesus was seen by disciples following his crucifixion and resurrection. From its founding in 1740 until the 1950s, the borough used the Pennsylvania Dutch spelling of the name, Emaus, to reflect local language and the significant presence of Pennsylvania Dutch in the borough. In the 1950s, however, the town formally change the name to Emmaus, reflecting the identical spelling as that referenced in the Bible's New Testament.

Population trends
In 1940, public census statistics showed that 6,731 people lived in Emmaus. The population of the borough has since nearly doubled to 11,313, as of the 2000 census. Housing construction has reached the borough line in all directions, so significant continued population growth in the borough is unlikely. Outside the borough line, however, the local population continues to grow, particularly in neighboring Lower Macungie Township.

Historical sites
Emmaus is home to several residences and other properties that were constructed in the late 1700s and early 1800s and have been labeled historic sites by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Under historical preservation Commonwealth laws, the sites are protected from commercial and other development expansion in the borough.

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mclmorizfat said:
I am trying to find info. on this as I live only 10-15 min. from emmaus it is a little bit intriging. Anyone have any information on it or the story behind it. I'd like to at least find it, or the supposed it, but need the info. behind it to do so.
Don't know of any haunts in Emmaus but there is supposed to be one on Mountain Road right around Alburtis. It is an old house that used to be a tavern. The guy that lives there was working for Lucent a few years ago. I live in Macungie...send me a PM if you ever want to get together and hunt...John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions