austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, easy to explain the ghost town. I wouldn't want to live above where a fire could burn into a methane pocket. Could get interesting. The fire will go out someday when the coal is all consumed.
Shoot the horsey first? Were they afraid he could ID them? Actually a good idea. No horse, no go. Bet this was an inside job. Must have had suspects, but who knows.
Powder explosion, you bet. Before I was an honorable teacher, we used to fill a pipe with gunpowder, screw on the other end, light it and throw it. Not a good plan. We threw it, it exploded about 30 yards away and the concussion blast knocked us down and dazed us. Sort of realized we needed a longer fuse. Soon quit that. So I can testify to how powerful a whole car would have been. Ours rocked the neighborhood and started a grass fire after the ground shook. And that wasn't that much powder. Old southern tradition before you die. You yell, "Hey ya'll, watch this".

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, easy to explain the ghost town. I wouldn't want to live above where a fire could burn into a methane pocket. Could get interesting. The fire will go out someday when the coal is all consumed.
Shoot the horsey first? Were they afraid he could ID them? Actually a good idea. No horse, no go. Bet this was an inside job. Must have had suspects, but who knows.
Powder explosion, you bet. Before I was an honorable teacher, we used to fill a pipe with gunpowder, screw on the other end, light it and throw it. Not a good plan. We threw it, it exploded about 30 yards away and the concussion blast knocked us down and dazed us. Sort of realized we needed a longer fuse. Soon quit that. So I can testify to how powerful a whole car would have been. Ours rocked the neighborhood and started a grass fire after the ground shook. And that wasn't that much powder. Old southern tradition before you die. You yell, "Hey ya'll, watch this".

Yep ! Can Happen.
I was just reading This

The Columbian. (Bloomsburg, Pa.), 18 June 1886.

1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

The Columbian. (Bloomsburg, Pa.) 1866-1910, June 18, 1886, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no articles on the fire were found