• Total voters

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Red,

I've never heard of it and it is not in the books that I have. Doesn't mean anything though. I am by far no expert on treasure in PA. Sounds like you might have the start of something to research though. Check with the local historical societies and I'll keep looking & let you know.

Ron.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All so far

At the top of Boone Mountain between Penfield and Brockport in Elk County, PA , there is a small cemetery in the middle of the woods known as the Bish cemetery. Samuel and most of his family are buried there. Most of the gravestones are either just field stones, or are homemade stones. Many unmarked graves can be seen.
At one time, the area on top of Boone Mountain was known as the Bish settlement. It was a thriving community with Bishes, Bennetts, Nulfs, Garvins, Timblins, Reeds, and others living there. Around 1900 everyone began to move down into the bigger rural areas of Brockway, Brockport, Kersey, etc. If one knows where to look, the remains of foundations and fruit cellars can be seen. The area that was cleared for farming is still referred to as the "Bish fields". It is thought that Samuel Bish came to Elk County first, with nephews Joseph and Michael Bish following after 1880.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BISH CEMETERY

The Bish cemetery sits alone in the deep woods on the top of Boone Mountain very near to the Clearfield Co., PA border.? At one time this area was known as the Bish Settlement, and was a thriving community.? However, life on the mountain was hard and in the early 1920?s, the folks living in the Bish settlement began to move off of the mountain down into the towns of Brockport, Brockway, Sabula, and DuBois. The last known burial in this cemetery was that of David Bish, who died in 1936.

Satanic Worshipers.?
Sounds like an Awsome site to search if not off limits.

Especially IF you can Camp there for a Few Nights.

MORE

http://www.pa-roots.com/~elk/townships/horton/bishcemetery.html

IF your told No,
check on the Possability of doing a Restoration
Project on the Cemetery.

OP
OP
R

Redsumit

May 17, 2007
ive been up there a few times. i found the fruit cellar, the foundation for the house and theres also a stone wall built 2 maybe 300 yards long w/ a break in the middle as if to let horse and buggy thru. there are also a bunch of stone piles. the way it was told 2 me is the every year when plowing the fields they would dig up stones and just dump them on the out side of there field. havent really found anything major yet but those things and apple trees

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread