jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Columbia Park was a small picnic park, located in Lime Ridge, between Berwick and Bloomsburg. Opening around 1900 the site was also known as Shawnee Park.

The Columbian.
(Bloomsburg, Pa.), 22 May 1902.

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

The Columbian. (Bloomsburg, Pa.) 1866-1910, May 22, 1902, Page 4, Image 4 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

By 1908, the Philocorians were holding dances on Mondays throughout the summer at the park. The dances featured music by Boyles’ Orchestra. Admission to the weekly event was by invitation only; postcards were sent out by Secretary Clarence Hoch, and were required to be presented to gain entry to the dance. Most weeks, men had to pay for admission, whereas women were admitted free of charge. The price was $1.00. The last Philocorian dance of the season held at the park was on September 21 of that year.
Jerome Pifer operated a carousel at the park around the same time.After the departure of Pifer’s carousel about 1910 , Columbia Park purchased a portable Allen Herschell model. The carousel featured three rows of 36 jumping horses and two chariots, along with a Wurl 146A organ. One source suggests a roller coaster may have operated at Columbia Park around 1915.
In July of 1911, Nescopeck held its First Annual Village Picnic at the park.
Columbia Park remains in use today as a public park, and is located on 4th Street, along the west shore of the Susquehanna River, just south of where Interstate 80 crosses.

000.jpg

colum.jpg columbia.jpg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

llamas1355

Oct 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been dreaming about detecting here for quite some time. Definitely a no go at this point though. Big signs specifically prohibiting metal detecting.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been dreaming about detecting here for quite some time. Definitely a no go at this point though. Big signs specifically prohibiting metal detecting.

That's a Shame :( I've thought about a Day trip there but looks like it's a good Thing I didn't waste my time

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread