Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I don't think these are what your looking but thought I would post just in case

Silver Mine Knob
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/polycomm/aug/sil8897.htm

Pequea Silver Mine
The Pequea silver mine near Conestoga in Lancaster County was worked from before the Revolutionary War to 1875. A minor amount of mining was done about 1900. The ore is silver-bearing galena in the Cambrian Vintage Dolomite. Production is unknown.
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/pub/pageolmag/pdfs/v36n1.pdf
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/maps/pa/county/lancas/usgs/pequea.jpg
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/topogeo/gsaabstr/smithlead.pdf

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all I have on Forrest County is this

##.jpg
###.jpg

TeddyB1967

Feb 23, 2007
Pennsylvania
I found this link, it's a story written about Aughanbaugh Mountain and refers to silver mines and caves. I have no idea where the places are the are referred in this story. I think it may be the same place as Aughanbaugh Gap which is near my place BUT I have never heard anything about Silver Mines around here. I did a search for some of the places mentioned in the story, but they are several with the same name so it doesn't help much.

Anyways, here is the link. Maybe it will help give clues or something. If nothing else, it's an interesting read.

http://home.alltel.net/jmshaffer/silver.htm

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
i live in forrest co Marrienville never heard this before thanks

jud

Greenie
Jul 29, 2008
jeff of pa said:
all I have on Forrest County is this

Funny you posted this. Ive been researching this mine and its story. I actually have a trip up to tionesta this weekend & hope to hit the library. This is the exact thing that got me signed up here. And i got on here today cause i was finally going to ask if anyone knew anything on it. Quite funny.

So Ron if this is the mine you were asking about, perhaps pm me.

Ive searched this site and havent found anything other than the legend itself. But here it is for the curious....

"Somewhere in the Allegheny National Forest to the west of the town of Tionesta, Pennsylvania is a cave reputed to be full of silver.

During the late 1700s, a white settler named Hill got lost and sought shelter in a cave for the night. Inside the cave he saw veins of silver running everywhere through the walls and ceiling. In the floor was a great pit filled with pure silver. When he managed to find his way home, he was unable to find his way back to the cave.

Hill's story was backed up by an early entrepreneur who traded liquor with the indigenous Indians in exchange for furs and silver. When he asked them where they got all their silver, legend has it that they blindfolded him and took him to a cave matching the one described in Hill's story.

Pure silver was found in Indian burial grounds near Irvine, Warren County - approximately 15 miles upstream from Tionesta. However, the Cave of Silver has never been found."

EagleOne

Apr 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if anyone has come up with new info on this topic.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
RON (PA)

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Nothing new on the mines & never heard of the bars being found. That is a new one for me ---could they be one lead or could the bars be from the mine that were poured & forgotten about/lost. ???

mark120

Mar 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my name is mark i have had a lot of intrest about the mine i ben looking i had some pappers on it that was found in a old house thay got lost in a move it was full a info great info an research it led me to a place that over looks a larg fild of golden rod its about 5 miles frome tionesta its on the side of the river that the mians lived im close if this is it there was a calaps of the cave dore traped by a 15 foot rock with unknowen depth i used a silver detector not hi grade equipment it say silver is there it has to be it it showes sings of a fire or like made it so no one culd get it witch would exsplane why it was never found

mark120

Mar 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thers a rock that looks like a Indians face almost 20 yards hi an a naro hall way u can see the torch marks on the selling but its broke in half a hallway i wish i had some one didint think i was nuts but this place has to be it its close to tionesta but fare like legend says it was just well hiden if any

Redbeard52

Sep 19, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver mine

Well my name is mark i have had a lot of intrest about the mine i ben looking i had some pappers on it that was found in a old house thay got lost in a move it was full a info great info an research it led me to a place that over looks a larg fild of golden rod its about 5 miles frome tionesta its on the side of the river that the mians lived im close if this is it there was a calaps of the cave dore traped by a 15 foot rock with unknowen depth i used a silver detector not hi grade equipment it say silver is there it has to be it it showes sings of a fire or like made it so no one culd get it witch would exsplane why it was never found

Mark which side of the river did the mians live and did you go up river or down river 5 miles?

mark120

Mar 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This place is east of tionesta up river towards tiioute

Brad Tipton

Jun 26, 2017
130 Fox Road, Palmyra, PA 17078
Primary Interest:
Other
My name is Brad and I am originally from Berlin, PA. In my younger years I was told about an old Indian that lived just outside Berlin. He always paid for goods at the local stores with silver nuggets. There were times he would disappear for about 2 weeks, then return with his leather bag full of nuggets. I was told he was found beaten to death along the old Glade Road, his nuggets missing. The storyteller assumed highwaymen tried to beat the location of the nugget mine out of him. There is some chance he is buried in the family cemetery of one of my ancestors in the area. (Another family story.)
What makes a lot of sense to me is the amount of time he was away to obtain his nuggets. An Indian, knowing the trails along and across the mountains, and used to traveling long distances on foot, could possibly make the long walk including a couple of days to gather the nuggets. Who knows, he might have headed to a mine near Tionesta.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread