Manheim Borough Historic properties to be demolished....Go Dig

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/208424

Manheim Borough council unanimously approved the demolition of two buildings during conditional use hearings held Aug. 14.

One of the buildings is owned by the borough and the other by Manheim Borough Authority, which received approval to demolish the two-story residential structure at 270 W. Colebrook St. It was built in 1885 as the residence for the caretaker of Manheim Water Works.

Borough manager Rob Stoner said the house was vacant for a few years. After the last tenants left, it was inspected by former Manheim code official Donna Czeiner, who found improvements needed to be made before it could be rented again.

Stoner said the authority decided not to rent the building as a security precaution because it sits adjacent to the water treatment plant. It will be replaced by 40-foot-by 50-foot garage built to house excavation equipment.

He said no one showed interest in the authority's offer to sell it for $1 to a contractor or builder willing to remove it from the property. The authority declined to relocate the house to a nearby site because of fees estimated at $130,000 plus necessary renovation and legal expenses.

The plan to relocate the house on an adjacent lot sparked concerns with neighbors.

Clyde Newcomer, 238 W. Colebrook St., said, "I have a hard time now pulling out from my driveway safely. If you put a house there, it will make it even more difficult."

Homer Geib, who owns the farm adjacent to the water treatment plant, said, "Putting a house there will block our view. I'm also concerned how that would affect the value of our property."

Stoner said, "The other option is to demolish the building and salvage some of the architectural elements. We've received input from the Historic Preservation Trust of Lancaster County, and they're OK with that plan."

Stoner said he will work with the trust to determine architectural items to salvage and recycle.

Council member John Eshelman said, "I'm reluctant to give up historic buildings, but looking at the cost involved, if we can salvage some of the components, that's fine."

Council also granted approval to demolish the borough-owned masonry structure at 245 S. Main St.

The building, part of the former Conestoga Traction Co.'s trolley operations and used now for storage by Manheim Lions Club, will be demolished as part of the proposed improvement project at the Fruitville Pike/Route 72 intersection.

Stoner said the demolition plans were reviewed by Manheim Historical Society, the borough's planning commission and Norfolk Southern, which operates rail lines bordering the property. Council agreed to help the Lions Club find another location for storage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread