Weedville.....under construction ball field !

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just up Weedville and Byrndale this past Sunday.

The ballfield is actually in Byrndale, but the towns are next to each other and I like saying "Weedville" ;)

I only detected there for about 15 minutes and Mother Nature gave me an emergency call so I had to leave, but....I did find some clad by the swing sets.

There are tall clumps of some type of grass scattered around the play area and the soil??? is really weird.

At first I thought maybe it was an older ballfield...maybe it was the original field...but it is very sandy ground with small rocks, like creek rocks, all through it. It was tough digging hitting all the stones.
There's lots of chewed up pop cans around but for the most part, my detector was quiet with the exception of foil.

There is a creek right next to the field so maybe it was flooded and it's sediment on the grass.

The interesting part....and you'd better hurry if you want the chance to MD the area...is where the bleachers WERE! Still deep marks in the ground outlining where they sat. The soil inthe area that would be directly under the bleachers is several inches higher than the surrounding ground. Looks like could be some excellent detecting there. There are new lines in the actual ballfield portion which tells me they may be getting ready to redo the place.

I wont be going back...too far of a drive for me, over 2 hours, but if you're nearby....I'd give it a good going over. The town is old and had a train station at one time and the CCC went through there on their way to work. See my next post on Parker Dam and the CCC.
Just a few pics I took before I started detecting the area...give you an idea whats up there. If you go...let us know if you make any good finds.
AL

PS. The historical marker is going N. on 255 just before you get to Weedville. The next town is Byrndale.

Attachments

• DSCF1445.JPG
    DSCF1445.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCF1447.JPG
    DSCF1447.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCF1446.JPG
    DSCF1446.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF1448.JPG
    DSCF1448.JPG