deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After I found myself a comfort area...mother natured forced me from detecting a field in Byrndale, I took a nice drive through Parker Dam State Park.

If you've never been there....go!

It is absolutely beautiful.....and very historic!

The highlight for me...and more than likely any of you that may be into Md'in and history....is the "Lou & Helen Adams Civilian Conservation Corps Museum."

I had the honor and privledge to talk to Helen Adams and let me tell you...what a woman.
She's 89 or 86, dont remember which, but she was a wealth of information about the CCC camps. Her husband, who just died last year, was one of the original members in the Parker Dam project. They were married 69 years. God bless her for that and what they musta gone through back in those days.

They organized this wonderful museum and you wouldn't believe the stuff, that is all original. they collected from other CCC'ers and have on display.
Helen even commented how much it would sell for on Ebay...I got a laugh from that. Didint think someone like her would know about ebay.

The park itself is rich in history with display photos of the beach and cabins that were opened back in the late 30's. Stupid me, I wanted to take pics of the pics but was just so taken in from the beauty of the place. It has one photo there of the park dedication when all the swimming facilities and cabins open...and in the pic, it was quite crowded.

There is a beach that I'm sure begs to be detected...along with some of the surrounding area.

I'd definately talk to the rangers for permission.

There are cabins to rent there, open year round, for campers.

It was fairly crowded when I was there, even tho no one was swimming.

I'll tell ya...Pennsylvania is full of neat little hidden secrets.

Oh....and they have a map showing all the CCC camps in Pa. Very nice...I want one!
Al

Attachments

• DSCF1459.JPG
    DSCF1459.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCF1451.JPG
    DSCF1451.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCF1458.JPG
    DSCF1458.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCF1461.JPG
    DSCF1461.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCF1463.JPG
    DSCF1463.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCF1454.JPG
    DSCF1454.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF1453.JPG
    DSCF1453.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCF1464.JPG
    DSCF1464.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 252
  • DSCF1477.JPG
    DSCF1477.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCF1465.JPG
    DSCF1465.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCF1478.JPG
    DSCF1478.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 244

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I'm sorry to hear that Lou passed away. I talked to him several times over the years. Actually I should say I listened to Lou. He enjoyed talking about the CCC days. Parker Dam is a great place to go camping. It is a small park but rich in history.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I've stayed in the old CCC cabins up there several years ago. Great place and great work that the CCC did several years ago.

According to the website for Parker Dam, they are draining the lake soon for repairs to the spillway. Could be a great opportunity if you live close by.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread