Civil War encampment York /Adams County

prospectorYorkPA

Jan 16, 2007
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
I don't believe the Codorus goes as far west as Gettysburg. It's only named a creek. It flows right through the center of York. One of the branches is just a mile and a half north of me. Civil war encampments are common around the area of York. Only problem was they were flooded out during hurricane Agnus. York surrendered to the confederates west of town and paid them a sum of money not to burn the town. They marched east towards Wrights Landing (now Wrightsville). Basically following what is now Route 30. The Union burnt the bridge at the Susquehanna River and kept the confederates out of Lancaster county. The Pleasureville area around York did have some encampments that I am aware of.
The history around York goes way back to the 1680's when it was claimed by Lord Baltimore of Maryland. There are propertys that can be traced back to his ownership back then. Which does include Pleasureville and areas to the north.Wasn't until the 1750's when the Mason Dixon Line was established that this area was offically part of Pa. There are buildings that can be traced back to the early 1700's that still exist today.
Andy, York, PA

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread