May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking on the State Bureaucracy "A personal victory" and for all detectorists

Lesson to be learned here, be persistant, and NEVER EVER GIVE IN! especially if you are absolutely correct, and I knew I was.

After Jeff's in Pa post below on his refusal to gain permission, I decided to pursue this furthur. You might want to read Jeff's post first to get the gist of things.

First, a little background information, then please read the regulations pertaining to metal detecting in Pennsylvania State Parks, then read all the correspondence "from my email box" starting from the bottom to get things in perspective...............Rich

Mr. Yanishak,

Ok, I have checke with the managers at the parks you mentioned and it appears that I have been overly cautious. Both managers suggested that it would do no harm, and I will go along with their opinions. They also told me to remind you that anything that you find, including money, must be turned in to the office to be put into the lost and found. I'm sure you already know this. If it is not claimed in 30 days, you may claim it.

You may print this e-mail and carry it with your for proof of
permission.

Lew Williams
Park Manager
Tuscarora/Locust Lake State Parks

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 1:33 PM
To: Williams, Lew
Subject: Re: Locust Lake

Mr. Williams, thank you for your response, and I would appreciate a
difinitive answer or response. When "will be crew in with heavy
machinery to work on the beach" ? I see no reason why anyone can't metal detect on
the beach before and after the "crew" arrives.

Years ago, Hickory Run, Ricketts Glen had lake draw downs and were
exactly the same circumstances. I called the appropriate regional office and was given the go-ahead to detect the beaches, without any problems.

PS: This is my last email to you, and I assure you I'm going to get to
the bottom of this. My next step is to visit my local congressmen and/or state senator, and forward this email to DCNR in
Harrisburg.................Thank you for your time..........Richard Yanishak

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Cc: "Woleslagle, Jeffrey" <[email protected]>; "Lewis, Kenneth
(DCNR)"
<[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:48 AM
Subject: FW: Locust Lake

Lew Williams
Park Manager
Mr Yanishak,

You DO NOT have permission to metal detect on the beach at Locust Lake. There will be crew in with heavy machinery to work on the beach. That is a valid reason.

Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:40 AM
To: Williams, Lew
Subject: Re: Locust Lake

Mr. Williams, I'm sorry, you still haven't answered my question. The
beach is NOT being renovated at the present time, it is in the same state as it was before Labor Day when swimming was allowed, the lake draw down has NO effect on metal detecting the beach sand area, so WHY are we not allowed to metal detect on the beach? Other than the fact that you say so. Do you really have a valid reason? ...............Richard Yanishak

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Cc: "Woleslagle, Jeffrey" <[email protected]>; "Lewis, Kenneth
(DCNR)"
<[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 11:19 AM
Subject: RE: Locust Lake

Mr Yanishak,

During the lake draw-down all activities on or within the boundaries of
Locust Lake are suspended. No one is allowed to metal detect there
regardless of his stated intention to remain within the beach area. The beach will be the subject of a renovation during the drawn down and we especially are not allowing any activities on the beach area.

Lew Williams
Park Manager

Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 6:34 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Locust Lake

Dear DCNR representative, I recently inquired about metal detecting in PA State Parks, and know that metal detecting is permitted by regulations, and I personally have metal detected in many PA state parks in the past with never any problems.

Last week, after Labor day, I drove up to Locust Lake State Park and
spoke to a DCNR officer named Bill when I asked him for his name. I requested permission to metal detect on the beach at Locust Lake State Park and was denied. ( I was given no reason, and the office said this is not a good time) The beach is just as safe as it was when it was open for swimming the week before Labor Day. Nobody is on the beach. I will not go in the water, just the sand so...............

I want a valid reason WHY I cannot detect the beach at Locust Lake State Park.

Thanks................Richard Yanishak

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.485 / Virus Database: 269.13.14/999 - Release Date:
9/10/2007
5:43 PM

Attachments

• State Park Laws.jpg
    State Park Laws.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 454
  • State Park Laws.jpg
    State Park Laws.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 448

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Re: Taking on the State Bureaucracy "A personal victory" and for all detectorists

Good for you! :)

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Taking on the State Bureaucracy "A personal victory" and for all detectorists

Turn in the money?

Doesn't the reg's state finders keepers on anything NOT of historical significance?

Gotta love guys in power that think they are all-mighty.

Make sure you keep the regs with you for your coin finds unless you want to jump thru hoops to keep your finds...otherwise, I'm sure your finds will inconveniantly disappear or you will have to fill out 99 forms in triplicate to get it back.
Al

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX

Hey Rich!
You should receive an award for your persistence! You accomplished what many have failed to accomplish. Specifically you made the bureaucracy back down! A big congratulations!
BJW

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks BJW. Notice the money part (what a joke) They (the other park managers told me to tell you) Geez, doesn't that sound stupid? Obviously this guy is taking his cues from Park Managers, and he doesn't know the regulations.

Oh gosh, what I'm I gonna do with these people ::) Perhaps I should enlighten him, but that would really piss him off, but that wasn't the original idea behind this, so I will keep my mouth shut until confronted. ;D ..........Rich

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OK Rich the day you Detect Turn in all the Change you Got, But Count it,
Copy the Dates, & denominations.
Send me the List.

The next day I'll go up & Describe it all to a T ;D

Seriousky though, Is somone going to go to the office & say
they lost 50 cents. I can describe it.
It was 2 Quarters with Washington on them :P

Sounds to me he's trying to get even :-\

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II
Re: Taking on the State Bureaucracy "A personal victory" and for all detectorist

Well guys the way I see it is you who won the battle but this guy is going to get even because you went over his head..You will be MDing as per the rules and guess what he will find some reason to site you. Like your car is not properly parked .....something so watch your back! You made him look bad and his type can't take loosing there power!

OP
OP
Rich in Central PA

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree greywolf, and I have thought of that. Guess I'll have to take along somebody as a witness, my digital camera, pocket digital voice recorder to cover all the bases, because I got an eerie feeling they will be watching my every move. But I will be watching them also..........Rich

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

No reason to get all paranoid there folks.... this is a fella who really didn't have a clue, and was used to people backing down. Its always been easy for him to just say no when he wasn't sure.

This doesn't necessarily mean he's a spiteful type, you'll just have to wait and see on that.

You made your point, and gained access. Good for you! Now don't give anyone a reason to kick you out, LOL! ;)

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II
Re: Taking on the State Bureaucracy "A personal victory" and for all detectorist

I sent an e-mail to my State Rep. in harrisburg and requested a copy of the DCNR/State park Regulations about metal detecting and received them in about 3 days..When i visit them i wil take the regs along.........When i ask the park people for permission. ;D

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX

now that's a thought, greywolf! A few I have dealt with may need you to help them read it though.
BJW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread