jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hegins Township is the latest municipality where the virus was detected, according to the state Department of Health.

A positive mosquito sample was collected July 19 in the township. The state DOH reported the results July 24.

Other recent positive samples were collected in Pottsville on July 17 and reported July 24 and collected in Cressona on July 18 and reported Wednesday. The samples are sent to a laboratory for testing before being reported.

POTTSVILLE — The West Nile virus is spreading in Schuylkill County, officials said.

Hegins Township is the latest municipality where the virus was detected, according to the state Department of Health.

A positive mosquito sample was collected July 19 in the township. The state DOH reported the results July 24.
Other recent positive samples were collected in Pottsville on July 17 and reported July 24 and collected in Cressona on July 18 and reported Wednesday. The samples are sent to a laboratory for testing before being reported.

The virus causes flu-like symptoms and can result in encephalitis, which is an inflammation of the brain. Symptoms can show three to 14 days after being bitten by a mosquito carrying the virus, according to a fact sheet from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Kyle Schutt, the county’s mosquito-borne disease control technician, said Monday that the most recent positive sample was in the central area of Hegins Township.
The recent heavy rain adds to the possibility of the virus spreading, he said.

“I just expect things to keep picking up,” Schutt said.
West Nile has been detected in the county this year in Pottsville, Cressona, Schuylkill Haven and Ringtown boroughs and Hegins, West Mahanoy and Mahanoy townships. Schutt has placed 189 traps to date to catch mosquitoes for testing.

Weather permitting, Schutt said, the DEP will conduct truck spraying to combat the virus in Schuylkill Haven and Cressona. An exact time has not been determined.
“They have had enough positives at different locations. We believe a truck-mounted spray will be the best,” he said.

The virus has been found in 48 out of 67 counties in the state this year. York County has the most positive cases of the virus at 117. The first case this year was reported in South Whitehall Township, Lehigh County, on June 21.

The first “probable” human case of the virus was found in an Allegheny County resident earlier this month, the DOH said. The sample was sent to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for testing.

Ten counties have birds that tested positive for the virus: Schuylkill, Dauphin, Delaware, Erie, Clearfield, Union, Lebanon, Huntington, Blair and Somerset.

State officials are warning residents to take precautions to prevent the spread of the virus.

“With our recent heavy rains, Pennsylvanians may see an increase in mosquito activity. There are some simple steps you can take to protect yourself and your loved ones from mosquito-related diseases,” Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine said in a statement.

While outside, using a DEET-containing insect replant and wearing light-colored clothing can help, the state said. Making sure a house’s screens fit properly and are in good condition is also important.
“Using a personal insect replant or staying indoors during dawn and dusk will help prevent exposure to mosquitoes,” state DEP Secretary Patrick McDonnell said.
Mosquitoes can bite during any time but are most active during dusk and dawn.
Removing stagnant water, where mosquitoes breed, can help reduce the spread of the virus.

• Remove tin cans, plastic containers, ceramic pots, discarded tires or any object that could collect standing water. Drill holes in the bottom of outdoor recycling containers.

• Have roof gutters cleaned every year, particularly if the leaves tend to clog the drains.

• Turn over plastic wading pools and wheelbarrows when not in use.
• Do not let water stagnate in birdbaths.
• Aerate ornamental pools or stock them with fish.

• Clean and chlorinate swimming pools and remove standing water from pool covers.
• Use landscaping to eliminate standing water on a property.
• Treat standing water that cannot be eliminated with Bti products sold at outdoor supply, home improvement and other stores. Bti is a natural product that kills mosquito larvae but is safe for people, pets, aquatic life and plants.
Source: The state Department of Health and state Department of Environmental Protection

https://www.republicanherald.com/news/west-nile-virus-found-in-hegins-township-1.2367753

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]Luzerne[/h][h=1]County[/h][h=1]West Nile program to begin spraying for mosquitoes this week[/h]

The Luzerne County West Nile Program will begin spraying an insecticide to kill mosquitoes this week.

Workers will spray the insecticide AquaDUET from trucks in parts of Edwardsville, Forty Fort, Kingston, Kingston Twp., Swoyersville and Wilkes-Barre on Thursday.
AquaDEUT is designed to provide quick, effective control of adult mosquito populations, according to a press release from Luzerne County. It is not harmful to humans or pets and has a negligible impact on other insects and the environment. If workers aren’t able to apply the insecticide Thursday, they will spray Friday.
Some mosquitoes can carry West Nile virus, which can cause inflammation of the brain.
Once a person is bitten by an infected mosquito, the virus takes about two days to two weeks to incubate in the body. Most people don’t develop any symptoms, but about 1 in 5 infected people will have headaches, body and joint pains, vomiting, diarrhea or a rash. Most people recover completely, but it may take months. A few people develop severe symptoms.
Fewer than 1 percent of people infected will develop a neurological infection. About 10 percent of those people will die from the virus, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. There is no vaccine or antiviral treatments.
Every year, the state captures mosquitoes around the state and tests them for the virus. This year, they first found the virus in mosquitoes in Luzerne County on June 20. From that date through July 19, biologists identified 18 positive samples of West Nile virus in mosquitoes captured in Luzerne County.
Individuals can take precautionary measures around their homes to help eliminate mosquito-breeding areas, including:
• Empty containers that collect and hold water, such as tires, tin cans, buckets and tarps.
• Empty and change water in bird baths, flower pot trays, cemetery urns, pet dishes, rain barrels and wading pools.
• Make sure screens fit tightly over doors and windows to keep mosquitoes out of homes.
• Consider wearing long-sleeved shirts, long pants and socks when outdoors, particularly when mosquitoes are most active at dawn and dusk, or in areas known for having large numbers of mosquitoes.
• Clean debris from rain gutters and keep swimming pools treated and circulating.
• Drain or fill puddles with dirt.
• Stock ornamental ponds with fish that will consume mosquito larvae.
• Use insect repellents according to the manufacturer’s instructions. An effective repellent will contain DEET, picardin or lemon eucalyptus oil. Consult with a pediatrician or family physician for questions about the use of repellent on children, as repellent is not recommended for children under the age of two months.
• Clean and chlorinate swimming pools not in use and remove any water that may collect on pool covers. If a resident has stagnant pools of water on their property, they can buy BTI products at lawn and garden, outdoor supply, home improvement and other stores. This naturally occurring bacterium kills mosquito larvae, but is safe for people, pets, aquatic life and plants.
For more information about West Nile virus and the state’s surveillance and control program, please visit PA West Nile Virus Control Program.

https://www.citizensvoice.com/news/...n-spraying-for-mosquitoes-this-week-1.2367663

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stuff is no fun. I got an mutated strain of it one time camping, not as bad as west nile but still bad. Crazy fever and hallucinating, sicker than sick for about a week. Take care down there.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I live there. Unless it makes the local news, no one is going to take those steps.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in western Schuylkill county.

Going to the Extreme NW part of Schuylkill county now to detect.
Maybe even the Extreme Northern part of Dauphin,
If I'm not Pushing it :tongue3:

sometimes My Feelings of Fitness out weigh My actual Health :tongue3:

Anyway That is IF I get off this %^&* Computer :coffee2:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Be Careful... You don't need that!

Kace

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I live in western Schuylkill county.

Going to the Extreme NW part of Schuylkill county now to detect.
Maybe even the Extreme Northern part of Dauphin,
If I'm not Pushing it :tongue3:

sometimes My Feelings of Fitness out weigh My actual Health :tongue3:

Anyway That is IF I get off this %^&* Computer :coffee2:

I live in Luzerne so don't worry, I won't clean your spots out ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread