(?) MD ing in the Pa. game lands

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II
The rules seem to eliminate all use by the citizens of Pa. with the exception of hunting ,and related activities and walking/hiking in the off season when you won't get shot!
I sent my State Rep. a letter asking why these mostly unimproved lands can't be used by others like our selves. He in turn has sent a letter to the head of the game commission asking the same questions......Most likely nothing will change BUT now instead of a citizen getting the run around they will have to address a Rep. I think i already know the canned answer but nothing ventured , nothing gained. I will let you know the reply when and if it comes.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a bad idea guys. I did see quad trails in my drives up in northern areas of pa and I'm pretty sure they were game lands too. The trails were specifically marked for ATV use. I'm sure we'd do a LOT less damage to the areas than a bunch of guys on quads.

I'd like to see what you wrote also and maybe I'll send a similar to my local reps.
Al

OP
OP
greywolf

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Re: (?) Riding in the Pa. game lands

Jeff of Pa.: My Rep is Keith McCall. I asked why we can't use the undeveloped game lands to MD but when asking at a state park we can..of course not during hunting season as with the main park season....no response from game commission yet.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on who you talk to,
But Bottom line, from most,

You Can Swing your Detector,
You can Dig, if you don't Disturb Vegitation.
You can take a Picture of your find,
You can Fill your hole.
But the find must either be RE Buried
or Layed there for everyone who happens by to see.
(But Because they can't Trust everyone who Digs or Sees to leave it there, NO)
But you can be Find for Removing Anything from state Game lands.
Including someone elses pile of Trash.
I read once where this has happend.

The Main office just says "No"

They wouldn't even Discuss a Hunting License
for Detectorists. or Permit System.
all they said was it would have to be Voted on,
But not IF it could be Brought up.

redsummit

Oct 1, 2007
blah blah blah goes the politics. i say if u work u pay taxes, u pay taxes, AND if u hunt trap or fish theres more of your money towards YOUR land.......................so, id have 2 say................JUST DO IT. what r they gonna do take away ur birthday. besides 10 years from now there will be so many ridiculous laws u wont even be allowed in the woods. so get out n enjoy em while u can. u only live once, hell w/ SOME laws.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
No they won't take away your birthday, but they very well could take away your metal detector. There are a few places that I had wanted to detect on game lands but since the law came into effect a couple years ago I decided its not worth the chance of getting caught. There are plenty of other areas to dig besides game lands.

OP
OP
greywolf

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used

Well Jeff is right but still it is GOON SQUAD mentality. Why the H@#l would you walk thru the game lands with your MD , dig a target , see it is a coin and fill the hole and let it lay for some jerk to come along and take it..This group of buracrats need to get a life and think about what they have done I suspect that they use game lands for their own private hunting and other activities to . Almost sounds like a police state! or like the royal hunting preserve in England where every thing belonged to the king.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

greywolf said:
Why the H@#l would you walk thru the game lands with your MD , dig a target , see it is a coin and fill the hole and let it lay for some jerk to come along and take it..

When told this I immediately Laughed.

And said almost Exactly that. & Added
"Yea Right !"

& he said "This is why if we were to see you detecting
we would Politely ask you to leave
"

Of course Remember this was Just one Game Officers
Attitude on the Politely Asking they have the Authority to
do anything but Shoot you (I hope they don't have that authority too)

Don't Taze me Bro !

redsummit

Oct 1, 2007
its becoming a police state. cant do anything any more and they wonder why crime and drugs r on the rise. come on its metal detecting not burning houses down.

raptor

Feb 4, 2007
Westmoreland Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Everyone is right on this. I have MD on state game lands and never had a problem. State Game lands are nothing more than someone elses land that the state has either bought or is leasing for the publics use.I recently went to a state park in PA and asked the Ranger there if it was permissable to MD on it and was given a very harty absolutely you can, this park runs into state game lands but no restrictions were placed on me or my partner.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs....blocking out the scenery.....

Do this, don't do that, can't you read the signs.....

Hmmm.this is game lands??????????? I just thought this was part of the woods. I didnt see the signs for no metal detecting. Isn't this public property?

Sorry Officer, sir.....I didnt know.

Al

Sorry...I'm not going to let some unwritten law stop me from doing what I enjoy. If it aint visiably posted, I'm just some ignorant slob that will be apologetic if stopped and asked if I didnt know the law.

"Sorry sir, I thought this was open to the public since it DOES say "PUBLIC" hunting.

Al

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal said:
Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs....blocking out the scenery.....

Do this, don't do that, can't you read the signs.....

Hmmm.this is game lands??????????? I just thought this was part of the woods. I didnt see the signs for no metal detecting. Isn't this public property?

Sorry Officer, sir.....I didnt know.

Al

Sorry...I'm not going to let some unwritten law stop me from doing what I enjoy. If it aint visiably posted, I'm just some ignorant slob that will be apologetic if stopped and asked if I didnt know the law.

"Sorry sir, I thought this was open to the public since it DOES say "PUBLIC" hunting.

Al

First off Wrong Attitude.

There are signs saying,

No removal of anything Man made or Natural.

As I was told You can Detect, But you Can't Take.
And because of Trust Issues already, they will ask you to leave.
and if you argue, or refuse Your disobeying an officer
which will bring up Offenses to charge you with..
Including Attempted Theft if they want.
Confication of your Equipment,
Vehicle that got you there,
& Search of your Home (Without Warrant)
Fish Commission & Game wardens have that Right.
& Confiscation of all your Finds because one or more may have been
from another time you didn't get caught.

Trust Me. In America (the Land of Lost Freedom,
and home of the Over Regulated.) This is Possable.

PA State Game lands are Not State Property.

Funded primarily by hunting and furtaker license sales; State Game Lands timber, mineral and oil/gas revenues; and a federal excise tax on sporting arms and ammunition; the Commission is almost entirely supported by hunters and trappers, or assets that have been procured with license dollars. The Commission does not receive state General Fund appropriations. More than half its annual revenue comes from license sales, a relatively fixed income source. License fees cannot be increased without approval of the General Assembly, and fee increases have historically come only about every 10 years.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=481&q=151287&pgcNav=|

OP
OP
greywolf

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used

Jeff: I know you are right about the facts but is the game commission regulated by the legislature and if so the rules are put forth by the Rep's and Senators . And one thing is true Game officers have as much if not more authority than a State Police officer so beware.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I'm not sure What "General Assembly" they speak of,

From My understanding No the Rep's and Senators
have no control over the State Game commission.

I Believe I read somewhere, the FBI can't even
Investigate Them or the Fish Commission.
I know this makes little sense, but
I'd be Surprised IF any "State" Agency
controls them in any way.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea....I do have a bad attitude when it comes to government entities.

I haven't seen the signs personally about no removal of anything...but, I believe you.

To be frankly honest....I couldnt tell you if I detected game lands or not.
I did some relic hunting years back somewhere in the hills of north central pa...even some old ghost town overgrown by trees and what-not...

Maybe back in the days when things weren't so gosh darn regulated like they are now...I dont remember ever seeing signs except the occasional private property/trespassers will be shot type of signs.

Hill people back in the 70's were a lot more crude than now...especially in those really remote, dirt road places I used to love to drive thru. Nice folk, dont get me wrong, just lived on the fringes of society is what I mean.

And you are so very right Jeff,...over regulated!

I guess my problem is when it comes to that tiny print on those giant "Welcome to Pennsylvania State Game Lands, Please Hunt Safely" signs...I dont usually put on my reading glasses to go read the fine print that spells out the removal thing.
I just feel welcomed in my own home state.... ::)

It's just frustrating, over the years, to watch how things I enjoy are being destroyed by the powers that be. I just want to fight back....somehow...!
Al

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
deepskyal said:
Yea....I do have a bad attitude when it comes to government entities.

It's just frustrating, over the years, to watch how things I enjoy are being destroyed by the powers that be. I just want to fight back....somehow...!
Al

Me to! >:(

redsummit

Oct 1, 2007
well well, maybe its time the PEOPLE investigate the state game n fish communist........oops i mean commission. after all i thought this was for and by the people, not rich business's and thats all its become is a business.

OP
OP
greywolf

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used

I was watching the TV yesterday and on the channel that brings us the state govt. in action etc there was an inter view with the "Executive Director of the Game Commission. Carl Roe. Of course the interview was about deer hunting and such and no question was raised about use of game lands for other than hunting..And we have not received a response yet in response to my Rep.'s request for the info I had asked....I am not holding my breath. I think I will write this guy a letter and see what happens.............God help me I hear the black helicopters coming..........oh sorry it was Medevac going over!

raptor

Feb 4, 2007
Westmoreland Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
greywolf,
I too watched that Pa game guy and if I am not mistaken I don't think he answered one question that anyone asked but I must say that some of those hunters sure did give him the what for. LOL.I also metal detect in some of the North Central Counties such as McKean,Potter,Elk. I haven't been bothered by a soul anytime.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread