deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a good one. I was looking at Google earth for parks and came across Springdale Lake.
It's North of Pittsburgh about 20-25 miles or so...not real far following Rte.28

So...look at Springdale Lake and what do you see???? That's right, nothing!
I tried a multitude of searches for more information on this reservoir but turned up the same...no information on it at all.

I suspect maybe it had been shut down as a drinking supply because of mine drainage but......who knows.

If you zoom in you can find an area that appears to maybe have had some water that dried up....big crack in the ground, if I'm seeing it right.

Anyone nearby feel like a hike some saturday?

Al

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
Al,

I do. I live real close to Springdale. There's a few lakes hidden away in the area. I assume you mean the one near the old Harmar mine, up on the hill. I've never been there. All of that mine property is Posted as far as I know.

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No...the lake isn't there anymore. It's specifically called Springdale Lake and the older topo maps show the lake as being there. It's up close to Agan Park and apparently the creek, Riddle Run, formed the lake.

I can't make out any roads going to where it used to be, but the park has some roads cut all through the hills there and I'm guessing at one time, one of them led to the lake. I found some neat old foundations up through there too but can't figure out what they may have been. Don't think they were houses because the remaining walls have an odd out-swing to them and another series of walls along one road seem to have been brige supports...but where their located, doesnt make one bit of sense.

As far as I can tell...the lake was there as early as 1950 and as late as 1984, but again, trying to google it turned up almost nothing as to what happened to it.

I suspect it was a reservoir and probably people swam in it, judging from what little information I was able to find on the internet. I further suspect it was closed down due to mine drainage. I did kick up some DEP data about plants being used to absorb certain toxic chemicles in a mine drainage area. It was way too many pages to read but was listed in my google search for Springdale Lake.

Send me a pm and we'll try to hook up during a weekend, or I work the afternoon turn and could get out early one morning. I work at Allegheny Ludlum and start my shift at 3.

You know...I've read enough posts and materials that old swimming holes can kick up some nice goodies.
I haven't seen sign one posting any of this property. And google earth, if you zoom in on the area, DOES show what looks like an old lake bed with the typical cracks from shrinkage of the base from the soil drying. We may just have to hike down over the hill a bit to find it. But...thats what topo maps are for.
Al

mark v

Mar 10, 2006
S.W. Pa.
Detector(s) used
Deus, CTX
deepskyal said:
No...the lake isn't there anymore. It's specifically called Springdale Lake and the older topo maps show the lake as being there. It's up close to Agan Park and apparently the creek, Riddle Run, formed the lake.

I can't make out any roads going to where it used to be, but the park has some roads cut all through the hills there and I'm guessing at one time, one of them led to the lake. I found some neat old foundations up through there too but can't figure out what they may have been. Don't think they were houses because the remaining walls have an odd out-swing to them and another series of walls along one road seem to have been brige supports...but where their located, doesnt make one bit of sense.

As far as I can tell...the lake was there as early as 1950 and as late as 1984, but again, trying to google it turned up almost nothing as to what happened to it.

I suspect it was a reservoir and probably people swam in it, judging from what little information I was able to find on the internet. I further suspect it was closed down due to mine drainage. I did kick up some DEP data about plants being used to absorb certain toxic chemicles in a mine drainage area. It was way too many pages to read but was listed in my google search for Springdale Lake.

Send me a pm and we'll try to hook up during a weekend, or I work the afternoon turn and could get out early one morning. I work at Allegheny Ludlum and start my shift at 3.

You know...I've read enough posts and materials that old swimming holes can kick up some nice goodies.
I haven't seen sign one posting any of this property. And google earth, if you zoom in on the area, DOES show what looks like an old lake bed with the typical cracks from shrinkage of the base from the soil drying. We may just have to hike down over the hill a bit to find it. But...thats what topo maps are for.
Al

PM sent.

Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread