Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baspinall said:
Hello to all. I think the group hunt idea would be fun. I know theres lots of Rev. war history around me in Chester county. I am in Coatesville area. Reading isn't very far away from here. I have alot of old Rev. war maps that show some promissing areas if we could get permission. They would be great group hunt areas because of the acreage that would need to be covered.

Brian

Hi Brian. Yes south & East of Berks had alot of Revolutionary History.
And along the Blue Mountain at the North end of Berks into Schuylkill
Where I'm at, French & Indian War History.

The Possabilities are Limitless

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
You mentioned the FIW. I have maps of most of the forts built in the area and have located them on Google Earth. Some of them are still on undeveloped land and one lies in the outfield of a baseball field :-X. I think a great group hunt would be an excursuion to the forts. They are only a few miles apart from one another.

Don

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one I would Like to get at most
is FORT HENRY. Bethel Twp. Berks County off 501
However the Stone Marker is inside a Fence Beside a Barn
and there are No Trespassing Signs Everywhere.
It would Probably take someone who Knows the Landowner.
Or a Collective $$$ Offer (Bribe) to the Owner.

FORT HENRY was one of the Major Forts, Dwarfed only by FORT AUGUSTA at SHAMOKIN (Now SUNBERY) & FORT HUNTER in HARRISBURG in Importance.
Both of Which are Protected.

of the 3 HENRY is the only one still on Privately owned land.

1893 Hand drawn MAP not to Scale

!!_FORT.jpg
!!_Henry.jpg

MILLERSBURG is now BETHEL

Marker at the Intersection of 501 & FORT Henry Road Reads
!!Marker.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Besides Known as Fort Henry it was also Known as Fort Dietrick Six & Busse Fort.

I have The Frontier Forts Book Mentioned in that Article.
There is alot of Info in there including Communications with
Conrad Weiser, Attacks Etc.

All the Land in & Surrounding it is owned by one Person.
Sorry I never copied down his Name.
But I think he or a Relative lives accross the road from the Marker
in a Newer 1970's style home. But never anyone out whan I drive up By.
(I don't Knock & Risk Upsetting Homeowners, Or write letters that can be Disgarded,
Or make Phone calls & Pest.) Must be a relaxed Face to face outside.

I Live about 10 Mile North along the Original Path that went from
Reading Past Fort Henry to Fort Shamokin

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the same situation I have with the farm areas that I would like to get on. Never anyone to be found & I don't want to bang on the door. I know of a couple areas where the British crossed the brandywine and an area where Layfayette was wounded.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes unless I'm Reallllly Bored, I get upset when Somone Knocks at my Front Door
I don't know. Unless it's an Emergency, where somone needs real help of course.

Friends Are told to Walk in the Back & Yell :D

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Mojo, we're here, just trying to get the last few days in before the cold PA winter.

Welcome Don, I'm just below Pottstown.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
I'm with you Jeff. I have lived here 5 years and we look at each other each time the doorbell rings. We tend to forget what it sounds like. We don't get trick or treaters or Jehovah's witnesses here. Quite a change from the row home I was raised in. I enjoy the quiet.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the time I get a Knock it's a Jehovah.
This is why I get Upset.
& usually answer with an Attitude ready to Strike.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
When we first moved in, they came a few times. I heard them pull up and block the driveway so I answered the door in my underwear. They haven't been back.

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hey justine,

I which I would have known about the Almshouse at Gov Mifflin School grounds. I live a few blocks away and during the summer there was quite alot of excavation work on the playing field.

Don

doogie67

Tenderfoot
Nov 13, 2007
Hey everyone, I'm in Punxsutawney so if anyone is close give me a holler and I would love to hunt with someone that knows what they are doing.

coop

Greenie
Apr 2, 2005
Fort Henry

Hi guys, Pertaining to Fort Henry. A few years ago my friend and I had gained permission from the property owner to hunt the site of the fort. We did find a few bullets and some rusted iron pieces. But, from all the indications, we believe that the site was hunted before by people possibly sneaking into the site. The owner had said that he didn't know of anyone hunting it in the past. But, it would have been easy for someone to sneak in. What a shame. We did find a small bottle dump site in the area, but the bottles were from the late 1800's. It's getting tough to find any virgin fort sites.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Fort Henry

coop said:
Hi guys, Pertaining to Fort Henry. A few years ago my friend and I had gained permission from the property owner to hunt the site of the fort. We did find a few bullets and some rusted iron pieces. But, from all the indications, we believe that the site was hunted before by people possibly sneaking into the site. The owner had said that he didn't know of anyone hunting it in the past. But, it would have been easy for someone to sneak in. What a shame. We did find a small bottle dump site in the area, but the bottles were from the late 1800's. It's getting tough to find any virgin fort sites.

Cool, So he is easy to Talk to then.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
I live in Bucks County and I am having a very hard time finding a commited partner. I have detected solo 99% of the time since 1999 when I started detecting. I even purchased a second detector in case someone wanted to go and didn't have one. Still no luck. Having a second, I thought, was a good idea if you have a hard time getting permission. You can always say, I have one for you to use too. It may work in your favor since you can't just pick up any detector and become an instant expert. Most people will just give up. Anyway, if anyone is in my neck of the woods, let me know.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldplacesnofinds - where are you at in Bucks? I'm close to West Chester in chester county.

Brian

MorningMist

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Eagle2sl
Hi Friend ,
No PA isn't Closed Down ,I Have Been Detecting For about 35 Years Now ,I Do It for a Very Fun Hobbie It keeps One Sane in a Unsane World,I really Don't Think There is Less Treasure To be Found Out there ,Unless You wast your Time In Newer Parks,I am Heavy Into research and I have more Areas To search Than I could Do in Many Life Times.Silver might Hit 40.00 a Ounce Next year ,So Get Detecting And Above all Means Do Research.Take care Dan'l.

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
don,
you gotta watch ANYTIME they do digging in a spot. I keep looking at a couple spots myself....
422 before you get into reading, they are doing some digging on the westbound lane side, I think this might have been Indian territory.
also, this summer, they were building homes right before the bridge on the 724 side of Gibralter...known Indian territory also.
some other known Indian areas are Angelica, Poplar Neck and Neversink.
Fritz Island was also a large Indian settlement. (where the sewage treatment plant is)
I found out to late that they tore down the old DeTurk house....big property for Native American Archeology hunting.
It seems like when they destroy these building, they do it pretty much on the sly.
I wish I had access to the Morgantown hotel before they destroyed it. Too sad to see happen, a lovely old building.

I have a great berks map of historical places, whether the buildings are still there or not. It's a 1976 map for the bicentennial, and it's pretty cool, probably some cool sites to detect at on it. I will see if I can get it posted here.

-justine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread