Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Justine - I'm with you about the Morgantown Hotel. Drank a few cold ones there next to the fire place in my day. I thought about asking the workers if I could jump behind the fence foe awhile ;D Also thought about the area across from the Heritage that has stalled in the building phase...

Brain

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
Brian,
I can't tell you how many times I wanted to jump that fence myself.Very sad to see a historical building go, especially one in such good condition, for something so stupid.
I will NEVER set foot in that stupid Rite Aide on principal alone.

Now, if I am not mistaken, I understand that the property across from the Heritage
is just some guy preparing the property for a mall, nothing is really set yet. Why they couldn't build their stupid Rite Aide there is beyond me. I remember there used to be an old farmhouse back there, I think it at one time belonged to Jacob Morgan.(?) I do believe where the old farmhouse was sits back a little further than the primed building site. You may still have luck there.

There are also some odd ruins, what appears to be a dam, maybe a mill site is back there, if you are going toward Elverson Rd. on Joanna Rd., they are on the left side and should be very visible in this foliage.

If you are familiar with Morgantown, I have been meaning to check out Fingal Castle, suppposedly at the end of Shiloh road (or down a path at the end, I haven't quite figured out where yet) but one of my research resources states:
Fingal Castle , abandoned well over 200 years ago. Allegedly a French prince arrived c1752 with full entourage and erected a commodious log dwelling, to which high stone additions on either side soon appeared. Before long, the estate had a fishpond, a half mile racetrack and other refinements. suddenly, Fingal (or some name similar in sound) departed, followed shortly thereafter by his staff. The property fell to ruin. IT's said that the stone portions stood until well after the civil war, and had been inhabited for some time. LIttle can be found to mark the site today.

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Rite-Aid and CVS are both destroying old homes to build their stores EVERYWHERE! I've seen it done in Dublin,PA and in Kenhorst too. I go miles out of way to avoid giving these businesses my money!

Don

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt
stroudsburg and east stroudsburg,and barrett twp also, and i"m sure there is more but as of right now thats all i know.but i have to throw walgreens in here now too right next to cvs,look out because i"m sure you will have one of them too...sorry for more bad news

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt
justin if you go there please post some pictures of what you find there i would like to see....there is one here too that i have been looking for for at least 2yrs,this weekend maybe a guy is going to show me where,and i will take pictures and i will post them and give a story about what i know about it..it is kind of sad....mike

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
Personally it isn't just those stores it's also the strip malls that keep coming. It sometimes seems that if it continues everyone will have their very own strip mall to shop. It needs to stop because the failure of a store or strip mall won't bring back the historic buildings that were destroyed to make way for them.
BJW

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Justin - Do you have more info on Fingal Castle? I have searched and I'm comming up empty handed. I did follow Shiloh road and did not see an area where the dirt road would be. If you "Live Search" it you can see some lakes that could have been the pond?

I will take a drive up there this week to also look for those ruins/dam you mentioned.

Brian

justine093

May 3, 2006
berks, PA
for correction gentlemen, there is an e on the justine....signifying the female.

this is pretty much all the information about Fingal in berks on the web. Nothing even close tot he other information I found. All refers to the underground railroad.
I would assume this is the same area, possible the same location.
who knows?????

"...another four miles farther on the trail, just outside of plowville, was a place called Fingal. The Cole family sheltered runaways there as they passed through the town. For Fingal , the next destination was Reading."

"Those who went on westward from these Berks way stations moved to "the pond fields" atop Chestnut Hill, southwest of Plowville, to what was known as Fingal. Here they came under protection of the Cole family, whites, whose name some adopted."

colonial relic hunter

Nov 26, 2007
Harrison city, Pa
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X3 & X2 and X5. Whites spectrum & silver eagle ll. Garrett ADS 4.
Jeff I think we should all get together and

work something out. I'll be willing to assist in anyways like talking to the land owner and working out a deal with him. Do you know where he lives? I've had good success in the past with land owners that will not let anyone in! But if you offer the SWEETENER to the mix.. well..it usually works out. I do have a disclaimer I use too. All is very legal like. Like it should be. I have my lawyer hunting buddy to make sure we all are protected! Hey just a thought! Fort Henry has always been high on my list too. Do you think others have detected Fort Henry? Is it wooded or farm land or both? Well talk to you later and please get back to me and let me know what you think?

Bill(pa)

jeff of pa said:
The one I would Like to get at most
is FORT HENRY. Bethel Twp. Berks County off 501
However the Stone Marker is inside a Fence Beside a Barn
and there are No Trespassing Signs Everywhere.
It would Probably take someone who Knows the Landowner.
Or a Collective $$$ Offer (Bribe) to the Owner.

FORT HENRY was one of the Major Forts, Dwarfed only by FORT AUGUSTA at SHAMOKIN (Now SUNBERY) & FORT HUNTER in HARRISBURG in Importance.
Both of Which are Protected.

of the 3 HENRY is the only one still on Privately owned land.

1893 Hand drawn MAP not to Scale

MILLERSBURG is now BETHEL

Marker at the Intersection of 501 & FORT Henry Road Reads

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Jeff I think we should all get together and

colonial relic hunter said:
work something out. I'll be willing to assist in anyways like talking to the land owner and working out a deal with him. Do you know where he lives? I've had good success in the past with land owners that will not let anyone in! But if you offer the SWEETENER to the mix.. well..it usually works out. I do have a disclaimer I use too. All is very legal like. Like it should be. I have my lawyer hunting buddy to make sure we all are protected! Hey just a thought! Fort Henry has always been high on my list too. Do you think others have detected Fort Henry? Is it wooded or farm land or both? Well talk to you later and please get back to me and let me know what you think?

Bill(pa)

My "Guess" he lives right accross the Street from the stone marker, Bill.

fortHenry1915sm.jpg

COOP should Know
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,120108.msg884835.html#msg884835 He said He hunted part of it.

coop

Greenie
Apr 2, 2005
The person that gave us permission a few years ago lived across the street in the old homestead. Actually, our goal was to get permission to hunt around their house because of the age of the property. It looked like it could produce some real old finds. But, they would not allow us to hunt around their house. When we asked for permission to hunt the area where the fort was, they granted us permission. We had our hopes up, but like I mentioned in a previous post, we were not able to recover any significant finds from Fort Henry. A few bullets and some rusted metal items. We hunted for quite a few hours. Our belief is that the fort had been hunted in the past by hunters sneaking onto the property. It is heavily wooded and I could see how it would have been possible to sneak in. If we had made a few decent finds, we would have gone back and hunted some more. But, I don't think it's worth the effort. The fort is too well known and that's why I believe it's been pounded by other hunters in the past. Coop

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of it May have had an Arc' Dig,
And Not a Putdown on You's, just trying to Weigh All
Possabilities, But you said a few years ago
and Between older detectors & a Few Hours, I would believe
you's were just Unlucky. (Feel Free to Correct me IF I'm wrong
on this)

I still Believe the Importance of the Fort says there are some good finds there.

Of course you may be right about it being hunted Hard,
which has always been an Challenge to me ;)

colonial relic hunter

Nov 26, 2007
Harrison city, Pa
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X3 & X2 and X5. Whites spectrum & silver eagle ll. Garrett ADS 4.
I agree

Sometimes what season or soil conditions or different detectors, or different way of thinking on the less obvious or getting in the thickets, ect. Still could produce some great relics. I know not all people dig the deep iron too and that could be wonderful relics.

I did a site in new york a few years ago and we found all kinds of great iron relics that they left behind. I am not saying you did not do a good job of detecting it but sometimes it takes more that a few hours, and getting in the jaggers or whatever to get the relics. So what do you think? Is it worth another try? I'll be willing with my hunting buddy to check it out with you all. Maybe we can make a video of it! :D

Bill(pa)

jeff of pa said:
Some of it May have had an Arc' Dig,
And Not a Putdown on You's, just trying to Weigh All
Possabilities, But you said a few years ago
and Between older detectors & a Few Hours, I would believe
you's were just Unlucky. (Feel Free to Correct me IF I'm wrong
on this)

I still Believe the Importance of the Fort says there are some good finds there.

Of course you may be right about it being hunted Hard,
which has always been an Challenge to me ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF We can get in I definately want to do it.
But.. I'm Very Cold (warm ?) Blooded and it would Definately have to
be in the Spring when it starts Warming outside.
at least 60's But before the Growth takes over.

If you want to do the Legwork for Permission,
Go for it. as I said earlier, I drive by a few times a year,
but Don't knock at doors.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
PA shut down? Not in halfdime's neck of the woods. This cold snap is merely an interruption! I plan to be back out next week!

dmac730

Nov 10, 2007
Reading, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well, my Ace 250 arrived today and I'm ready for adventure. I'm in Reading, Berks County if anyone needs a partner.

Don

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
doogie67 said:
Well I'm new here so I've been spending alot of time learning how frustrating this hobby can be.
So far, I've spent 9 hours and have found 2 modern bullets, 3-4 old cans, some type of metal junk and some pull tabs. Thats it. >:(
You´ve got the same start as most of us throughout the world, if you don´t sweep over it, you don´t find it. Keep at it, one day you´ll get lucky, most of us do !!

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Ah the Ferret, that and the Saracen, they were the mutts nuts in my day !!

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
marrienville area new to this just got my first md would love to have someone to help me out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread