Mineralized soil????

cold-drawn

Greenie
Jan 27, 2008
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
I think I posted this in the wrong place the 1st time...so here is another try. How would I be able to tell if the soil I'm detecting on is mineralized light, heavy etc. When I'm in all metal mode on my Whites C. ID, I get a constant tone with some higher bleeps obviously when I'm over a target. Don't know if the constant tone is normal. I know that I need to learn the machine more, which is a given. The soil is mostly black top soil 3" to 8" deep, then yellow- brown clay, north west of Pittsburgh. Butler, Beaver and Lawrence county areas. I search new and old parks in those areas. Pull tab, beer can and old cook-out grill foil heaven. ::)

c-d

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coal Dirt can be a nightmare here in PA
lotta Iron Ore
makes penetration hard.

Nice thing not much Penetrates the Clay
unless it was disturbed or under water for years

Sorry I'm not familiar wiith your detector.

OP
OP
cold-drawn

cold-drawn

Greenie
Jan 27, 2008
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
Never thought of the coal dirt, lots of railroads around here. My father lives about 300 yards from the Norfolk southern yard and he has no less than 4 inches of coal dust in his attic, probably from the old steam engines back when. My father and I detect together and he uses an XLT. We both cant seem to get deeper than 3 or 5 inches around here, (we are both new at it), unless we hit a whole aluminum can. I dug one up over a foot down in some heavily water saturated soil by a small creek with the classic id.

Thanks Jeff

c-d

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Moist Soil is great
so are most wooded and grassy areas

but that coal dirt is a pain.

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
coal dirt as well as coal ash can be somewhat of a problem. You mentioned your father using an XLT but I'm not certain what model of Whites you are using. I know the DFX handles that type of ground content pretty well in Best Data which of course is dual frequency. All single frequency detectors that I have used in that environment did suffer somewhat. Part of the solution may be in using smaller than stock coils.
BJW

OP
OP
cold-drawn

cold-drawn

Greenie
Jan 27, 2008
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID
I use the Classic ID from Whites. A lot of people, during the coal furnace days, dumped coal ashes in their yards around here.
They would also burn wood scraps full of nails and yard dump them too. Some even buried their garbage. All part of MDing yards I guess.
I'm going to try some tips from the Whites posts, but I'll have to still dig all hits in the end. Seems with all the tech and tips, the best advice is DIG EM' ALL
till I learn the different sounds of my machine.

cold-drawn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread