Jim Thorpe, PA Fossils or Gold?

GeminiTattoo

Greenie
Oct 23, 2007
Hey there. I am planning a camping trip to Jim Thorpe, PA for the end of April. There will be lots of kids there with us and I was trying to think of something fun for them to do. There are a ton of creeks, streams and lakes in the area of the campsite and I was wondering if it would be worth it to search for some gold or fossils or if we will come up with nothing for either of them.

Thanks for any info!
Amanda

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
My grandparents were from Palmerton which is near Jim Thorpe. We used to hunt for crystals on a hill there. It was great fun. I took my kids there too. Never heard of gold in that area.

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno about fossils or gold,but heres a link.....the towns actual name is Mauch Chunk,Pa.....a portion of the town was renamed Jim Thorpe after the town purchased the remains of the native american athlete,whose tomb is in front of what I believe is town hall.It was also called Coalville at one time,and once was the home of 13 millionaires during the coal boom.

http://www.mauchchunkhistory.com/history/index.php

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
In Palmerton, ask where the public pool is. I included a link, it looks like it is off of 3rd street, just north of Harvard ave. You take the drive back to the pool. On the opposite side of the parking lot from the entrance to the pool is a small hill. Go up the hill and look for areas where there is rock that is gravelly and washed out. The area I am talking about is a little toward the left, up about 2/3 of the way. It is a small hill and not tough to climb. You will find crystals just by looking for the sparkles. They will probably not be large but last trip we found some that were 1/2 to 1 inch in length. Good luck!!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...304,-75.614122&spn=0.003947,0.009978&t=h&z=17

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread