Poconos

R

robbuckalew

Hi my name is Rob, and this is my first post
I acctually am very new to md'ing , I am acctually waiting for my ace250 pro to get here.

Wondering if anyone can tell me what are the best places to hunt in the poconos
I work in the marketing dept. at camelback ski resort and will have permission to hunt there but I need some alteratives.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Hey neighbor to the north! Welcome to the TNet! Lot of PA people here to help. You should do well after the season is over on the slopes. I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some ideas. Check to see if there is a historical society in your area. Libraries are also a good resource. Good luck to you!

Cokeman Sam

Feb 22, 2008
Hastings, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm feelin' your pain as I too am waiting for my Ace 250 to arrive. Hope it gets here by the time the snow melts.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
If you own your own home the best place to start to learn is in your own yard. Alternatively there's parks and school grounds are the usuall places to learn. When you get some practice so your not diggin craters to get a memorial cent. then move on and I'll tell you where from there. Just PM me. ;)

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Split Rock Lodge has a beautiful lake with a beach... its neat there... also white haven another lake area, thats the one they built that lake, covering a village they did... ya sure have tons of lakes n swimming areas up there... have yourself a ball..

OP
OP
R

robbuckalew

thanks for the help i will take all of it into consideration

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rob, I would concentrate on the areas nearest the lodge and parking. Also check where people get on and off the lifts. I don't know if you saw it but last year during one of the NASCAR races at Long Pond, one of Carl Edward's crew member went to a local slope and MD'd during the rainy weekend.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,91284.0.html

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also want to try the lake near Promise Land (and the campground and picnic areas there) and mosey on over to Lake Wallenpaupak, Otter Lake and Keen Lake.

B

OP
OP
R

robbuckalew

eathabs said:
Rob, I would concentrate on the areas nearest the lodge and parking. Also check where people get on and off the lifts. I don't know if you saw it but last year during one of the NASCAR races at Long Pond, one of Carl Edward's crew member went to a local slope and MD'd during the rainy weekend.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,91284.0.html

thanks for the advise, but as you should know that the actual slopes is where you are going to find the most treasure.
the reason i say this is because my office doubles as the lost and found, and at ski areas most people that are novice skiers tend to fall alot as they are going down the mountain and for some reason they lose wallets, cellphones, keys, and money, but the the 2 most reported items lost on the slopes are ipods and cameras. the reason that there wont be much in the lodge area is because that area in the spring and summer is also a water park. maintenance will usually get that stuff. Thanks

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I have a question for mrs.oroblanco , What areas in Promise land State park are you allowed to hunt ? Just the beaches or the whole park ? do you need to notify the park ranger etc etc . Also can you hunt the PA game land on route 6 by shohola ?

Thank you

OP
OP
R

robbuckalew

prospector40 said:
I spent a few weeks at Tobyhanna Army Depot many years ago. Not too far from there was a state park (I think Tobyhanna State Park) that was closed for a while due to cleaning up unexploded munitions. If you get permission, that may be an awesome place. Just be careful. If you find something that looks dangerous, it may be. PICs of your finds are mandatory. OK, not really, but let us see what you find.

Tobyhanna is definately off limits

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cannot hunt the game land there - or anywhere else in Pa.

When we went to the Poconos, we talked to the ranger - they did not let us go on the beaches until fall, (right after Labor Day) but we were allowed access to all the picnic areas, camping areas, etc. during the summer. (this was in 2004 or 2005, I believe), as long as they were unoccupied. (found an old lock in the trees).

Anywhere we go, if there are "authorities", we talk to them first, its just good public relations, and saves on confrontation. Don;t be surprised if they say "Gee, I don't know", and if they say no, ask them if they have a person who might be familiar with the law about it, because the first time we asked, the girl had no clue. My family used to go to Promise Land when I was a young pup, and it has certainly grown over the years.

Have fun!!

B

Snookerfind

Mar 6, 2008
I hunt the Eckley miners Village area. You have to get a permit in May or June from Pagnotti mining in Harliegh. There are some nice deer that come out of there. Also a lot of woodcock migrate through that area. Cayote is a big plus. The Nescopek Stae park is another good area near Drums

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
Promise Land State Park
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateParks/parks/promisedland.aspx

We do permit metal detecting in the park. We do ask that you refill any holes you dig, that you do not detect in the sandy area of the beach and that if you find anything of historical or significant monetary value that you report it to the park office.

Thank you for your interest in Promised Land State Park and happy hunting!

Sarah C

Clerk Typist 2

Promised Land State Park Complex

R.R. 1 Box 96

Greentown, PA 18426

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info, 007,

That's pretty much what they told us back in 2004-2005.

I wish I had known they had a site with the info on it back then. That's great!!!

B

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
yeah I think there is a very healthy number of State parks in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania , that have similar rules , which is Great news for detectorist in and around the Pennsylvania area

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
Thank you for contacting the park regarding this request, most PA State Parks allow this activity, however, Tobyhanna State Park prohibits the use of any metal detecting devices. This is strictly a matter of safety to both you and the many other visitors at Tobyhanna. The history of the park is that this was a former artillery range prior to use as a state park, there is a possibility that live artillery shells may still exist here. The Bureau has made this decision to prevent any chance of entering into a situation that would be harmful to our visiting public.

If you have any further questions please feel free to contact the park office.
For more detailed information on Pennsylvania State Parks,
connect to our web site: www.dcnr.state.pa.us
To make online reservations: www.pa.reserveworld.com
Reservation Call Center: 1-888-PA-PARKS

Thank you for your inquiry,
Park Office Staff
Tobyhanna/Gouldsboro/Big Pocono
570-894-8336

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
Both Big Pocono and Gouldsboro allow metal detecting, thank you for observing the rules the Bureau has specified for this activity.
Park Hours are Sunrise to Sunset.

Basic policy guidelines are stipulated below, however, should you have any additional questions please contact the park office.

The reasonable use of metal detectors is permitted in many state recreation areas. Metal detecting is not permitted where this activity would conflict with a facility in use. Metal detecting is not permitted within fenced areas of swimming pool complexes (state operated or concession operated). Metal detecting on beaches and in lake swimming areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore from the Tuesday after Labor Day until the Saturday prior to Memorial Day, unless posted otherwise. During the summer season, metal detecting in beach and swimming areas will be at the discretion of the Park Manager based on his knowledge of the use and type of facility. Metal detecting in other underwater areas will be permitted within a reasonable distance of shore if it does not conflict with other activities or have potential for causing damage to the facility.

Many state recreation areas have the potential for the recovery of valuable historical objects. State recreation areas with this potential may have part or all of their area closed to metal detecting.

Shovels, spades, garden trowels, and other similar tools may not be used to dig into or turn over ground areas that are covered by turf, vegetation, shrubs, or trees. Permissible digging tools are screwdrivers, ice picks, and other similar narrow pronged devices.

Individuals who want to use a metal detector in a state recreation area must receive prior approval from the appropriate park office and report items which are found and will be removed from the park. Items recovered become the property of the finder, except for those of historical significance.

The above guidelines only pertain to state park lands. Persons should contact the Pennsylvania Game Commission, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and/or the DCNR Bureau of Forestry for guidelines applicable to their lands. In addition, persons should consult the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission if they are seeking or find historical artifacts. The Commission has legal responsibilities under the Historic Preservation Act (#273 of 1978).

For more detailed information on Pennsylvania State Parks,
connect to our web site: www.dcnr.state.pa.us
To make online reservations: www.pa.reserveworld.com
Reservation Call Center: 1-888-PA-PARKS

Thank you for your inquiry,
Park Office Staff
Tobyhanna/Gouldsboro/Big Pocono
570-894-8336

Jimby

Apr 22, 2006
Rob, I sent you a PM. I live in Effort, if your looking for someone to go detecting with email me........Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions