deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get a lot of detecting leads just by reading the news paper every day.

In today's Pittsburgh Post Gazette is an article on the old South Vo-Tech School being sold to a developer to build housing.

The school was built in 1897 and the article goes on to say that it will probably sit for a couple years by the time all the paperwork and stuff is done.

It's been closed since 2004.

Here's a brief part of the article below. There are also 20 other old schools for sale in the fine city of Pittsburgh.

The Pittsburgh Public Schools board has agreed to sell the former South Vo-Tech High School for $1.1 million to Gregory Development.

Last night, it also approved a resolution authorizing the chief operations officer and the solicitor to "expeditiously move forward with the disposal" of 20 closed buildings, for which the ongoing maintenance costs exceed a total of $1 million.

If a building fails to sell "in their initial attempt," then the two are authorized to find a "responsible entity, within the immediate community of the school," which could receive the building at a nominal cost.

The 20 buildings are Beltzhoover, Boggs, Burgwin, Chatham, Columbus, Connelley, East Hills, Gladstone, Knoxville, Lemington, Letsche, Madison, Mann, Miller, Morningside, Prospect, Rogers (which will be vacant in 2009), Vann, Washington and West Side.

Sounds like it could be a good year for detecting.
Al

*After a little research...not much grassy area to detect there except a small front area. Using google earth for the other buildings, I guess Pittsburgh wasn't very big on grassy areas for kids.
Try using map quest with the schools addy's then use google earth for an overhead view.

This link will give you all Allegheny county area school addresses: http://schools.publicschoolsreport.com/county/PA/Allegheny.html

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I lived in South side back in the early 80's. The Vo-Tech was the Old South side high school before it became the vo-tech. The Pittsburgh Steelers had practice there some years back if I remember.
There pretty much isnt much neighborhood where the school is. It's by the 10th street bridge...the one that was in the news from shifting.
Huge stadium and field, another minor league baseball team played there too. Beyond the school, heading towards Pittsburgh is all businesses. I'd detect that alone without worry of hoodlems.

East hills...bad area..need a swat team with ya

Beltzhoover...my daughter went to school there but I still wouldnt do it alone but could be comfortable with company

morningside I'd do okay

connelley was a trade school. I dont think there is any detectable ground around it. I went there for something...cant remember what it was, computer programming I think...all concrete, no playgound or fields.

westside is okay

knoxville I think is okay...

lemmington is boarderline homewood...probably be okay with a couple people.

The others, I dont know, Id have to do some research.

Just a little more on S.Side...I just tried looking up some history on the field...and it's artificial turf! Still plenty of activity going on there and seems like that would be out for detecting. Apparently they did major improvements to it....That dont mean you cant do the highschool.
Al

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
lemmington is boarderline homewood...probably be okay with a couple people.

Not so sure of that. Lincoln-Lemington & Homewood has probably the highest number of shootings in the Pittsburgh area. I worked in that area for Duquesne
Light 15 years ago & you had to watch nothing would be stolen from the trucks
& that was in broad daylight. I've been around the block a few times & still would never take a few people with a few thousand dollars worth of equipment
while looking for money into that area. I have a permit to carry but still see no
reason to to invite trouble when there are better places to be.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey guys I attended South High.

Graduated in 2000. Great old school. No land around for hunting though. I bet at one point though the whole front of the school was grass. The school across the st from it behind co go's was built in 1850. No land around it.

I know every park field school nook and cranny in the city. Getting tougher to find spots in the city anymore. I have found alot of great coins though in the city. The east side is a very rough part of town. I basically will hunt any where though.

A few area's you gotta watch though. Good luck with your searches. Still plenty to be found in allegheny co.

HH Jer

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with you guys. After thought and google earth, I see that there isn't much at all to detect around these places. It does seem an unnecessary rish for a few coins or what-nots.
Lemme see, is it wear red in Wilkensburg or blue? Is that crip's or bloods there?
Al

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do the kids go to school up there any more? I was born and raised in Pittsburgh (Hazelwood). I went to St Stephen's (closed). Burgwin and Gladstone both closed. I graduated from Brashear, as far as I know they are still open. When I graduated the building housed just the high school. I was just up there this past June and there is a middle school sharing space with the high school. Are they building new schools or are the kids and their families moving out of the area?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread