rawpaw40

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2007
Dover, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's classic V and garrett AT pro - new
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found out yesterday that MDing local parks in the Dover township area is not allowed. I went to the township building and asked and they called me the same day and said no MDing on township parks such as brookside park. Oh well maybe some day that will change.
Roger

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Ho Roger,
I usually check out the township site for the rules and park commision if they have one. Then I check the park rules. Then I detect it. I go by the laws. Next time ask for a copy of their "no Detecting law" so you could share it with your MD buddies. Bet they don't really have one and will give you something like "no disturbing the vegatation". The one park I go to has holes from squirrels and dog feces despite a law recently on the books for the later. They aren't trying to get rid of the squirrels or the dogs. I do far less harm. If they can or can't produce the law, take it up at town council and remind them that you pick up trash as well as remove rusty nails and corroded batteries from the ground the children are playing on. I was stopped by a local officer who I could tell was in hassle mode by the speed he was coming at me. I smiled big and talked to him a bit, told him how I use a screwdriver to dig, never leave holes, pick up trash and he suggested a few more spots in town. Much of it is a bad perception of what we do. Keep in mind we are ambassadors for the hobby!

OP
OP
rawpaw40

rawpaw40

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2007
Dover, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's classic V and garrett AT pro - new
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ho Roger,
I usually check out the township site for the rules and park commision if they have one. Then I check the park rules. Then I detect it. I go by the laws. Next time ask for a copy of their "no Detecting law" so you could share it with your MD buddies. Bet they don't really have one and will give you something like "no disturbing the vegatation".

Thanks for the come back "CanUDigIt", will keep the above infomation in mind for the future.
Roger

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Guess I'll spell check next time! :sign10:
I seriously do check first and read the sign to make sure. I not much of a rebel anymore. Try asking some friends with older houses if you could recover some relic from their property. Explain that you don't dig big holes in their lawn and would respect their property. There is even a detector's code you could print and give to them. Offer to share or even make a shadow box of a few items if you find anything cool. Word of mouth helps open locations too. Good luck to you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread