cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need mding buddy, just outside philly, Ambler

Sounds like a good bunch already, I have no problem knocking on anyones door as long as they don't pull a gun on me or a 104 year old woman doesn't answer the door naked. I don't think I will be able to get out this weekend due to another recent leg surgery but the weekend of the 29th/30th sounds good. If anybody wants to get out this weekend and doesn't have a place to go I can give you directions to a good piece of unknown public ground that jam packed full of relics and old glass.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30

Sunday, the 30th works well for me. I have to attend a 1st birthday on Saturday. Sounds like good hunt possibilities though. Let's hope for some good weather!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

I'll be offline till the 29th, starting tomorrow. Someone please PM me if plans work out for the 30th. Thanks!!
Debby

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30

We'll keep you posted Debby. I checked out the club website you posted. They have a few nice locations for hunts. I assumed Rose Tree was off-limits. It is an awesome park. Providence Road was my favorite road until they put in the stop sign. In '88, I bought a Grand Am in Media and took it straight there to try it out. One question on the club pictures, does everyone use a 250?

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum

cam9457 said:
Sounds like a good bunch already, I have no problem knocking on anyones door as long as they don't pull a gun on me or a 104 year old woman doesn't answer the door naked. I don't think I will be able to get out this weekend due to another recent leg surgery but the weekend of the 29th/30th sounds good. If anybody wants to get out this weekend and doesn't have a place to go I can give you directions to a good piece of unknown public ground that jam packed full of relics and old glass.

Hey! You told me the 31st! If it is the 30th, I should be able to make it. Sounds like a good time. Let me know. :wink:

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30

31st is a Monday. I am off then too. I can't do Sat. the 29th but could do 30th or 31st.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can do Sat or Sun (29 or 30). I work Monday through Friday so I have weekends free. I wouldn't mind going out this weekend either if anyone is interested.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

CanUDigIt said:
We'll keep you posted Debby. I checked out the club website you posted. They have a few nice locations for hunts. I assumed Rose Tree was off-limits. It is an awesome park. Providence Road was my favorite road until they put in the stop sign. In '88, I bought a Grand Am in Media and took it straight there to try it out. One question on the club pictures, does everyone use a 250?

I hunt RT park quite often, in fact it is where I found my best ring! We all had 250's that day. I think one of the guys has had other detectors as he has been at it quite awhile. And thanks!

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum

CanUDigIt said:
31st is a Monday. I am off then too. I can't do Sat. the 29th but could do 30th or 31st.

I have a birthday party too on that Saturday but I am in for Sunday.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds like the 31st might be the best day for everybody? Now just where? I have a large piece of ground that no one knows about over here in Ft. Washington. There is a good mix of history there from the Washington entrenchment for the battle of Germantown, also further back on this piece of ground is the site of the great Ambler train wreck from the 1850's(look that one up, its pretty horrific but very interesting for me because I'm a conductor/engineer on a freight train). It also sits behind a few saloons/bars/inns/hotels that have been there since Washington's day, and there is a few really old dumps there that I have never excavated and there is alot of old bottles and stuff just laying on the surface. It is somewhat rough terrain with thorn bushes and it can be a little muddy. I can't get out this weekend because i just had another leg operation but I should be 100% by the 30th. Does any one else have any ideas for that day? I checked out that club site too, sounds like good group just kinda far for me. Hope everyone has a great day, Ryan

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30

That sounds like a really cool place! I will check out the train wreck online. Battle of Germantown sounds like it makes the area a pretty interesting hunt. My dad and grandfather worked for Penn Central and dad worked for Conrail. I remember going with him to the tower overnight in West Philly and getting to throw the switches that were taller than I was. Pretty scary back then. I wouldn't go there in daylight now.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wasn't around to see the guys in the tower with the exception of the guys in the tower on the draw bridge at the Delaware river going into Camden. That is one scary bridge, been condemed for almost a decade now and I would have to bring my 1+ mile long freight train across it with countless numbers of tankers of the deadliest chemicals known to mankind. Not my favorite run. Conrail was split up a while back once the RR business became profitable again and my company Norfolk Southern bought 51% and CSX bought 49%. While I'm talking trains, I also know of a few ghost towns along some of my runs between Allentown and Bingamton NY, and Erie. Those would be a hike by car but never looked like any had been there in a loooong time. Just a thought for future hunts.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30

It is amazing how people just forget about towns. I've heard of places off the TP and Rt. 30 like that. I am also checking on a few stations from an abandoned line. I found a few links about the battle. Haven't search the train wreck yet but will tonight.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm in.. Seems to be the 31st, Correct? Ryan, the site your talking about sounds like a nice site. We should think about a meeting spot. I scoped out two old stne houses today. Both sitting in ruins. One seems to be early 1800's. Don't ahve a clue who owns them? They are not posted that I could see. I would absolutly love to check out a ghost town! Even with out a detector. Reminds me of my childhood. We were always in some old house somewhere.
This weekend is tied up for me as well with Easter and all.
Keep us posted.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

If you are hunting on Monday the 31st I definately won't be there as I'm back to work. Hope you have a great hunt! Can't wait to see the finds.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah ghost towns do seem like fun, I never got a chance to detect one or really check any of the ones along the RR tracks. Only reason I ever even got to step foot into a few would be because my train would be on a siding awaiting another train to pass and had a few minutes, but never had enough time for more then aquick glance. If anyone would like I could go to my profile and put the pin pointer on the are we would be hunting? Its on my apartment building now and if you look across the street and the first driveway on the opposite side of the street to the north is the enterace to the property that I'm hunting right now. The center portion was built right around 1700. The great Ambler train wreck was how Ambler got it's name, interesting story if you get a chance to look it up. The area we would be hunting will be just a little walk through the woods to get to the site of the wreck.

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm sorry, I think I got the dates mixed up, I was hoping for that Sunday the 30th.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30

Sounds good. I have been reading up on the train wreck. Definitely an interesting story. There would have to be plenty of targets there with an accident and fire of that magnitude. Is Mary Ambler's house still there? It had to be huge.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was hoping for the 30th (Sunday) also. I have to go back to work on Monday. Let me know if you finalize a date. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread