Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Built in 1901 by Quakers as a 20 room mountain retreat in Monroe County, the Buck Hill Inn grew into the biggest resort in the Poconos with a four story hotel made of stone and 270 rooms. It eventually closed in 1991 and sits deserted and partially burned out now, waiting on its' fate - either restoration or the wrecking ball. In its' heyday, violence, murder and suicide along with other assorted mayhem were well known within its' walls.

It was supposed to be a place that the Mob liked to frequent, and the owners were more than willing to bend a rule or three themselves. It's said that in 66 years of operation, 73 people died at the hotel. Five, in fact, died in one room, #354.

A bride named Lorna Kilpatrick was murdered there by the very priest that married her the day before at the resort. He committed suicide, and Lorna's ghost has haunted the room ever since. A maid slit her wrists in there while clutching a rosary. People refused to stay in the room because of the constant freezing cold, doors that wouldn't stay shut - and the ghosts. The hotel had to shut the room permanently.

There's a small room in the basement that's spooked by the spirit of an accountant who was supposedly murdered there. He was cooking the books and the owner found out. One bathroom saw three murders committed in it, and was haunted by a ghost evoked in a seance gone haywire. It had to be exorcised, and poltergeist activity still took place in the restroom. A maid's closet was the scene of a strangulation, and it was said you could hear the maid gasp and her labored breathing and death rattle afterwards. The spook of an elderly soldier in an old uniform was reported wandering in the servants quarter's on the third floor. He has a gaping hole in his chest from a musket wound. He once strolled through a garden party and then vanished.

An Indian spirit has been seen roaming the area, too. In fact, the Native Americans believed the whole area was evil. Certain psychics agree, saying the East Room is the center of lay lines that mark evil. It may be. One owner's wife used to sleep in a room where the lines converged. She ended up schizophrenic.

There are also lots of poltergeist activities. One guard said during his nightly rounds lights would go on and doors open in buildings that he had secured earlier. Some guests reported hearing voices, shaking beds, opening and shutting widows, electrical devices going off on their own, and ghost sightings - even of spooks hovering over their bed. It was featured on MTV's Fear series, and Kelly Weaver, Paraseek investigator, was part of the show.

Attachments

• buck-hill-.jpg
    buck-hill-.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 14,057
  • buck.jpg
    buck.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 25,654

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holey crap...what a history that place has?????????? kinda makes ya think doesnt it? do I wanna go there??? or not???? I gotta admit... I would love to see it and walk the halls of it.... the curosity and wanting to see the ghosts would be rather ummm interesting... I'd go, but NOT ALONE... also can you imagine what you may find in the grounds there, it would be my luck to find that big honker of a ring with a boney hand attached.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to imagine something that huge being empty.....I'd love to hit a place like that. Some awesome history.
Al

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okok lets organize a hunt there..am drop dead serious...lets get permission...heck I will even buy a ghost detector thingy like on taps... I WANNA GO THERE.. soooooooooooo badly.. but.not alone..and I wanna spend the nite there... am so serious.... lets be TNET GHOST/TREASURE HUNTERS... am game am game

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be game...whats an hour or so drive compared to a weekend of fellowship with other MD'ers and finding cool stuff.
Al

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be real close to that place in May. May have to at least do a drive by. I think the place is for sale? May be able to talk to the broker here.

http://www.buckhillinn.com/contact.html

That would be a tremendous group hunt!

Brian

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading that web site more we may want to hurry. Seems they have condo plans for it :)

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt
guys i have been told numerous times NOOOOOOOO totally off limits,to many fires and vandalism but i will try one more time to get permission after that its up to you guys i know guys in the barrett twp fire dept who protect that property and they cant get me in there,be warned if you go on that property you will with no question be arrested that's how strict they are right now,i do agree that would be one sweeeet place to hunt.....so we will see...mike

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,
thanks ..will be waiting to hear... I will get there come hell or high water if we got the ok to do it...

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, that's an incredible story. But, now they want to build condos on the property??????? ??? Why can't people just let those evil places alone. Imagine the havoc that'll happen when they build again over the "lay lines".

I think maybe the Indians knew more about the land than most of these crazy white guys.

OP
OP
coingairl300

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy Heart said:
Built in 1901 by Quakers as a 20 room mountain retreat in Monroe County, the Buck Hill Inn grew into the biggest resort in the Poconos with a four story hotel made of stone and 270 rooms. It eventually closed in 1991 and sits deserted and partially burned out now, waiting on its' fate - either restoration or the wrecking ball. In its' heyday, violence, murder and suicide along with other assorted mayhem were well known within its' walls.

It was supposed to be a place that the Mob liked to frequent, and the owners were more than willing to bend a rule or three themselves. It's said that in 66 years of operation, 73 people died at the hotel. Five, in fact, died in one room, #354.

A bride named Lorna Kilpatrick was murdered there by the very priest that married her the day before at the resort. He committed suicide, and Lorna's ghost has haunted the room ever since. A maid slit her wrists in there while clutching a rosary. People refused to stay in the room because of the constant freezing cold, doors that wouldn't stay shut - and the ghosts. The hotel had to shut the room permanently.

There's a small room in the basement that's spooked by the spirit of an accountant who was supposedly murdered there. He was cooking the books and the owner found out. One bathroom saw three murders committed in it, and was haunted by a ghost evoked in a seance gone haywire. It had to be exorcised, and poltergeist activity still took place in the restroom. A maid's closet was the scene of a strangulation, and it was said you could hear the maid gasp and her labored breathing and death rattle afterwards. The spook of an elderly soldier in an old uniform was reported wandering in the servants quarter's on the third floor. He has a gaping hole in his chest from a musket wound. He once strolled through a garden party and then vanished.

An Indian spirit has been seen roaming the area, too. In fact, the Native Americans believed the whole area was evil. Certain psychics agree, saying the East Room is the center of lay lines that mark evil. It may be. One owner's wife used to sleep in a room where the lines converged. She ended up schizophrenic.

There are also lots of poltergeist activities. One guard said during his nightly rounds lights would go on and doors open in buildings that he had secured earlier. Some guests reported hearing voices, shaking beds, opening and shutting widows, electrical devices going off on their own, and ghost sightings - even of spooks hovering over their bed. It was featured on MTV's Fear series, and Kelly Weaver, Paraseek investigator, was part of the show.

HI
I to have heard some of thous tales to. Sounds like a good story for the WEIRD NJ MAG.That we have hear in NJ. priscilla

OP
OP
coingairl300

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
holey crap...what a history that place has?????????? kinda makes ya think doesnt it? do I wanna go there??? or not???? I gotta admit... I would love to see it and walk the halls of it.... the curosity and wanting to see the ghosts would be rather ummm interesting... I'd go, but NOT ALONE... also can you imagine what you may find in the grounds there, it would be my luck to find that big honker of a ring with a boney hand attached.

HI
There is no telling what youll find their. A place with that kind of history,i guss i just would stay a way from it. scary

priscilla

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not me! I would love it! bring on the MOB ghosts :o :o :o

MightyMouse82

Jul 10, 2007
Manheim, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I'd totally be in...let us know how you make out on permission. Let them know we would sign waivers if necessary...maybe that would help.

CCR542

Apr 13, 2008
NE PA
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum (1st post) but am a member over at Whites. I too would be very interested in hunting this site if permission is granted. I'll check back. Thanks

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt
ok this is the last straw for me! all i get is the run around,with me chaseing my tail... lots of calls and no return calls.... if any one would like to persue this let me know and i will give you all the contacts and any info that you may want that is available to me..what a shame that with all the history of a place that when you stand there and view it it has such a dark and vandalism history...too many people think that they know what is best for this place and it will never see the likes as it was in its glory......there is lots of money to make it back to where it was but more to keep it where it is????p.s. money made it what it was!!! money and lots of it is still there but not for us to find ,,sorry but that's all and the best that i can do,this property i have tried to gain access to for more than the 16 years that i have been in the fire dept and to no avail maybe there is something to hide i do not know....mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread