Has anyone ever heard of any precious stone mines in Pa.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no MInes but

In CHESTER COUNTY
Gold, Copper, Silver, Nickel,beryl & Amethyst can be found

BEDFORD COUNTY
you can Pay to Dig Quartz, amethyst,feldspar,tourmaline,dolomite, pyrite,
galena,sphalerite,calcite, and smithanite

BLAIR COUNTY
pay to dig areas for quartz,galena,smithanite, and sphalerite

and MIFFLIN COUNTY
Fresh water pearls are found along the Juniata.

HUNTINGDON COUNTY
sphalerite,amethyst,Quartz, tourmaline,feldspar,dolomite,pyrite,calcite,
andsmithonite at pay to dig sites

JEFFERSON COUNTY
Petrified Wood & Jasper near the City of SO. Bethlehem off 29

ARMSTRONG COUNTY
Petrified Wood & Jasper near the City of SO. Bethlehem off 29

On the Pay sites you will need to search the internet
These listed are According to the GPAA

I have no Proof

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no idea this state contained much more then coal. With the exception of my military time, I've lived in southern Montgomery county all my life and had just never heard of any precious metal mines around here. The tourmaline mine sounds cool, I'd like to take my kids to a pay to dig tourmaline mine, I think they would get a kick out of it. Thanks for the leads Jeff

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also Gold

hyui.jpg

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
I have a few spots depending on what you are looking for. I started rock, minerals and gems before I started detecting. I've also done the NC gem mines.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, as far as being in to minerals and such before detecting. Remember saving up my paper route money to buy a rock pick :) I know of a spot that I have found some decent quartz crystals. There is a stone wall in Exton that you used to be able to get garnets from. Today you would be taking your life in your hands (right on busy section of R. 100) but it could be done still. lots of fools gold... Always wanted to try panning for gold but not really any local spots that I know of.

Brian

OP
OP
cam9457

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd give the rock wall a shot, lord knows I've done a lot of stupider things. Thats a cool link Jeff, never would have thought about gold in this part of the state.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That link you supplied Jeff talks about the glacial drift. I wonder, since Moraine State Park is where the glacial drift supposedly stopped, if that would be a place to check out?
Al

Pennrungold

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Before anyone high-tails it to Bedford County's pay to dig place, best try to loacate it before hand. A few of my friends wanted to go there but after a long hard search could find no such place.
As for gold being in Moraine State Park, "Gold is where you find it". You go north of there to the west side of Greenville, a gold club has found small amounts of glacial on their property.

sandfleas

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2010
I know this is an old thread, but I used to live in Chester Country. On our farm we could find nice amethyst crystals, some gem quality. The farm was about 5 miles west of west chester off rt 322. We also had a farm field south or west chester where we could find beryl crystals. They were pale green. All of theses finds were a result of searching for arrowheads. Unfortunately both of these spots are housing developments now. Our arrowhead collections are large, myself my brother, and cousin. Our uncles and grandfather before them before found all the large tomahawks and large tools. Stuff they could see while working the fields.

Malestrom

Feb 1, 2015
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im risking a reply on this dead thread lol!
I want to pan and or dig in the Philadelphia area also.
If I could get a map to the spot in Exton for quartz id time a dig for non traffic hours
Gotta start somewhere. :)

lovegarnet

Mar 13, 2016
Scranton, Pa
Detector(s) used
none so far
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm searching for garnet! Live near Scranton, pa and love all gemstones. I currently have the time and was wondering if anybody knew of a place to
start searching. Also, panning in streams sounds great this time of year but that wall in Exton! Wow! I must see this! Does it still exist, if so, any hints please
pass it on to me. I will send my email address if needed. "MUST DO:

Thanks
Lovegarnet

lovegarnet

Mar 13, 2016
Scranton, Pa
Detector(s) used
none so far
Primary Interest:
Other
Im searching for decent gems in pa and want to clean them up to continue my "small gem collection" ! MUST FIND GEMS - especially garnet if
anywhere in the NE PA area. Garnet is my birth stone and I'd surely love to find my own. Any suggestions?

Lovegarnet:icon_scratch:8-)

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rock wall is on your right hand side while heading north on Rt.100. Right before you pass the train station.

RACK4

Aug 9, 2016
Jermyn, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for great finds near Scranton area. I am further south but limited right now to how far I can travel.

Trackergd

Jul 1, 2019
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to find Garnet on the 322 bypass to 202 next to the Penn Drive bridge Northern embankment at the edge of West Chester back in the 60's. There was enough that local student science clubs would venture there to dig around for it.

39.976989 - 75.606600

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread