New in Area looking for places in West Pittston-Harding Area

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
I'm not too far from you, just a little south.
There's plenty of very old homes around that area, that you could seek permission at.
Also, something that works for me, is to check out higher areas and peaks, that have a good view of the Susquehanna. If it has a good view now, it had a good view 100 yrs ago. Of course, sometimes some MAJOR steep hiking is involved.
The thing to stay away from around here (in my personal opinion) (and if you know N.E.P.A. you probably already know) are the "now disguised" coal columnbanks, or anything that had anything to do with COAL. LOL!. Alot of the wooded areas around here are actually old coal hills, that are becoming harder and harder to indentify anymore, as they become overgrown. My experience in these areas are that they are absolutely LOADED with iron and hotrocks and will drive you nuts. And most of them are slightly less than 100 years old anyway, so the odds of finding the goodies aren't too high. (Again, just my opinion).
I mostly try to hunt at old homesites, or out in the natural woods..
This might be of some help to you. These maps can REALLY help you find old places around here.
West Pittston is in the Exeter section.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~palackaw/maps/1873maps.html

Hope this helps you some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread