Pocono History

MightyMouse82

Jul 10, 2007
Manheim, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
My father, grandfather and I belong to a hunting and fishing club in the Poconos northwest of Stroudsburg. My great grandfather was actually a founding member of the club in 1909, and we own over 1700 acres among about 50 members. I've just gotten into the hobby and to my knowledge, no one has ever done any detecting on the property. Does anyone have any information on historical land uses, settlements, native american presence, etc. in the Pocono area?

Thanks,

Chris

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt
I live in stroudsburg where is the hunting club and I will see what I can find out,there are a ton of hunting clubs around here...mike

mike in pa

May 6, 2007
stroudsburg pa
Detector(s) used
whites dfx/xlt
I know exactly where you are talking about it is by lake manzanita a lot of history there from the railroad, most of all the houses up that way were owned by the railroad. a lot of them were nothing more than boarding houses for the workers we are talking about late 1800 to the 1920s I have been doing some detecting up around lake manzanita and have found some nice old coins the oldest so far has been a 1870s large cents,about 15 of them so far... some wheat's,indian heads,merc dimes lots of history up there,if you would like to know more send me a message with a phone number and I will call you because it will take me all day to type it all... you should see the quarry where they mined the stones for the tracks and the size of the crushers,huge place,the dynamite building is still standing....mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions