Roxborough Reservoir (Philadelphia)

MightyMouse82

Jul 10, 2007
Manheim, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Has anyone detected or know more history on the Roxborough Reservoir in Philadelphia? I live about 2 blocks away (where Henry and Ridge Aves meet). It was a late 1800's reservoir that was abandoned and now is quite overgrown on a fairly large plot of land in the middle of Roxborough. I believe it was also used at one time for recreational purposes quite a bit. Also, across the street is an old abandoned house and a few buildings. If anyone is in this area and would like to check it out let me know.

Jeff, any info you can dig up would be great!

Chris

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff, I'm not too far away, just over in Ambler. Is the reservoir drained or does it still hold water? Ryan

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd also like to go around the old swim club buildings down near the hospital. I never saw the reservoir?

OP
OP
MightyMouse82

MightyMouse82

Jul 10, 2007
Manheim, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
The Reservoir still holds water and I believe there's a group trying to get protection for it as a wetland to stop development. You can check it out on google maps (or google earth) by typing in port royal avenue. There are baseball fields adjacent to it on the left. What is interesting to me is that I've lived in the area for about 2 years and never knew what was there as it's so overgrown around the perimeter and the research on the internet I've done definitely indicates it was already in place by the 1880's or earlier. Could be pretty compelling considering it was also used for a recreation/picnic area during the turn of the century.

Chris

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about this spot as well.

The Shawmont Waterworks.
This huge buildings is just off the highly travelled Schuylkill River Trail. The building is roughly the same size as the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts at Broad and Cherry, but this buildings is sitting vacant. It is located along one of the last publicly owned sections of waterfront in the Philadelphia area. The Waterworks took water from the pool behind Flat Rock Dam and pumped it up to the Roxborough Reservoir.

Brian

OP
OP
MightyMouse82

MightyMouse82

Jul 10, 2007
Manheim, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Actually, you can also view the reservoir on the map of my location in the profile...it's the only body of water shown.

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Any UEers? This guy has pics.

http://www.uer.ca/~danb/

Frick's Lock is near me. Police have been cracking down on tresspassers over the last couple weeks.

So is Linfield. I am working a property near it for a friend looking for history of his house.

OP
OP
MightyMouse82

MightyMouse82

Jul 10, 2007
Manheim, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Ryan, I'm actually Chris...I was referring to Jeff of PA, the moderator, to dig up some research in my first post. I was thinking this Sunday but I know you were planning on heading back to your site from last weekend which I'd be happy to join you and the rest of your group for that....let me know the details. The following weekend is out for me though because I'm heading to the Poconos for the first day of trout.

I'm also trying to obtain some information on the owner of the property adjacent to the reservoir containing a house and some other buildings that seem to have been abandoned for quite awhile. I work in the city so I don't get home with much daylight left so during the week would probably be out for me.

Chris

cam9457

Mar 18, 2008
Cape May, NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that Chris, Should be Sunday around 9am. We met last time in the parking lot next to the hawk observation deck. If you need help getting permission I'm not working right now and have plenty of free time to go knocking.

OP
OP
MightyMouse82

MightyMouse82

Jul 10, 2007
Manheim, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Did a drive by yesterday of the reservoir....like I mentioned before, it's pretty overgrown and there's a high fence all around the perimeter and the property is currently controlled by the Philadelphia Water Authority...anyone have any contacts there that can get us in? There's also a vacant lot across the street near the ball field that is now a vacant field but there was a house located on the site according to a 1890's map of the area....didn't see any no trespassing signs. Might check it out this week if I get out of work with enough daylight or maybe next weekend if anyone is interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions