deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With the break in the weather last weekend, absolutely beautiful in the Pittsburgh area, I hit a couple old foundations pretty hard.

One was a house that was burned down by the fire dept. I didn't find much of anything but old building materials, skunked on coins.

Out of the corner of my eye, back behind the fields, I spotted another older foundation. I tried like heck detecting around it but tumbled blocks, rocks and rotting lumber was everywhere. I found an area which appeared to have been an old livestock pen. Posts still embedded in brick and morter circled a large area. i found a couple what-nots I haven't identified yet, but no coins.

Even though I didn't make that million dollar discovery, the peace of mind being out on such a beautiful day was priceless. Down over the hill was a small pond with a goose on her nest, schools of carp swimming around, and just a general serene aptmosphere that made me just sit and contemplate life for a while. I detected along a part of the pond but not a single beep.

I did however find something that I wish I hadn't. Poison Ivy!
I didn't know I found it until a couple days later. My fingers started getting itchy on Monday and Tuesday the blisters were evident.

Guess I didn't think that those roots I was cutting through were anything but weeds but with things just budding out here, identifying PI isn't easy.

What's worse...being a guy...out in the woods where nobody is around, having drank several cups of coffee before my excursion....mother nature put that pressure on my bladder and a few times I had to water some trees.....Guess where else i got poison ivy? :o

Lesson learned?????? Always carry something to wash hands in early spring in Pa. when you cut through roots in the woods that don't have the identifying leaves of three....or any identifying leaves for that matter.

Happy hunting.....and be careful
Al

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Moved from Pittsburgh about 10 years ago and didn't have a MD at the time. Worked out in Cecil and was an estimator for the lumber yard out there. Man do I wish I was into detecting back then. All those old homes, farms and parks I used to visit and drive by. Some really old history around that area.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh! you poor thing! I HATE poison ivy, almost as much as I hate chiggers.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
deepskyal said:
With the break in the weather last weekend, absolutely beautiful in the Pittsburgh area, I hit a couple old foundations pretty hard.

One was a house that was burned down by the fire dept. I didn't find much of anything but old building materials, skunked on coins.

Out of the corner of my eye, back behind the fields, I spotted another older foundation. I tried like heck detecting around it but tumbled blocks, rocks and rotting lumber was everywhere. I found an area which appeared to have been an old livestock pen. Posts still embedded in brick and morter circled a large area. i found a couple what-nots I haven't identified yet, but no coins.

Even though I didn't make that million dollar discovery, the peace of mind being out on such a beautiful day was priceless. Down over the hill was a small pond with a goose on her nest, schools of carp swimming around, and just a general serene aptmosphere that made me just sit and contemplate life for a while. I detected along a part of the pond but not a single beep.

I did however find something that I wish I hadn't. Poison Ivy!
I didn't know I found it until a couple days later. My fingers started getting itchy on Monday and Tuesday the blisters were evident.

Guess I didn't think that those roots I was cutting through were anything but weeds but with things just budding out here, identifying PI isn't easy.

What's worse...being a guy...out in the woods where nobody is around, having drank several cups of coffee before my excursion....mother nature put that pressure on my bladder and a few times I had to water some trees.....Guess where else i got poison ivy? :o

Lesson learned?????? Always carry something to wash hands in early spring in Pa. when you cut through roots in the woods that don't have the identifying leaves of three....or any identifying leaves for that matter.

Happy hunting.....and be careful
Al

dont feel too bad, i have had the same exact thing happen to me not once, but twice this year! i have had ivy for two weeks straight now since i got into it two weekends in a row. the itching is really starting to get old! youre right, this time of year is deadly because even if you know what it looks like, you cant identify those damn roots. i hate poison ivy!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Al,

Try bleach water on the poison ivy. It will sting/burn, but does a great job of drying it up in a jiffy. Hope it helps.

greywolf

Aug 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV, Bounty Hunter QD II
???I have always been under the impression that poison ivy is bad all year round. In the winter the leaves are gone but the roots and stems have the oil that causes the itch....gloves would help...but you must not touch your self (skin areas)..........enough said! :thumbsup:

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter how hot it is outside, I always wear long sleeves and gloves. Some people don't like to use gloves while metal detecting, I used to be that way too, until I discovered "contractor's gloves." They are extremely flexible and durable and work great for our hobby. You can get them at Walmart for about $13.

Be careful with the bleach water is you decide to try it. It can burn and blister your skin even more if you use too much bleach. And whatever you do, don't use bleach water on the twig and berries!!!!!

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful with the bleach water is you decide to try it. It can burn and blister your skin even more if you use too much bleach. And whatever you do, don't use bleach water on the twig and berries!!!!!

I was thinking the same thing.....lol

Yea, poison ivy is active year round, I just was caught up in the day being so nice, I just didnt give it a thought.

Actually, as much as I enjoyed the weekend, it might have even been worth it.

To me, this is what detecting is all about...not the ivy, but the serenity. I will be a little more careful next time. Maybe

Al

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I knew I should'nt of read this thread the other day. I have it to! Right under my wedding ring between my fingers...........

generik

Apr 11, 2007
Selinsgrove, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Prism V
I have it now too.

I am going out to get more of it today. With this hoby, I am always covered in it. I am trying to remember the name of the laundry soap to use. Felt's soap, I think? I is not as harsh as bleach.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Sorry to hear about you and "the boys" getting poison ivy...

Poison Ivy can find me miles away....!!!! I am so allergic to it. I prefer to wear surgical gloves...for many reasons: Disposable, fits to the hand and not bulky and I can slip them off easy and change into new ones easy. I may go through several, depending how long I hunt.

In the Summer time though, your hands can get real sweaty....I usually change alot in the Summer mainly because of that. Sometimes you can cut them on a twig or other object and you should change them too. That does not happen often to me...but it does from time to time.

Also .... if in wooded area or an area with lots of brush...the oils can get on your clothes and you would not know it....DO NOT HUG ANYONE when you get home until you have changed your clothes. Hubby did that to me and I GOT IT just from a hug!!! >:( And I was NOT out detecting!

Wash your clothes in hot water. I have several outfits I use for detecting certain areas, so I don't ruin a good pair of jeans...I wear old clothes! Make sure to wipe down shoes too! I also learned that from putting on my sneakers one time after a day of hunting and got poison ivy on my hands!!! Just a small spot, nothing major.

And if you see a pretty vine, ground cover or brush with pretty white berries....well, that is most likely poison ivy.....atleast the ones that grew in my yard had white berries, that is how I learned what poison ivy looked like....after my eyes were swollen shut!!!

However, despite the little mishap you and "the boys" had, glad you got out and enjoyed yourself!!!
Annmarie

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I have those oils either on my shoes or my jacket. I've gotten more blisters on my hands and it should be clearing up by now.

Good idea to wipe shoes off...think I'll give that a try.
Al

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
header_home.jpg

This stuff is AMAZING!

I have been plagued by poison ivy all my life. Sometimes I think I get it if the wind blows the wrong direction.

After detecting, I use Tecnu AS DIRECTED. Sometimes I still react a little but, it turns two weeks of aggravation into two or three days of annoyance.

I highly recommend it! Well worth the price!

DCMatt

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
Yea it can get bad, really bad! When I was younger I seemed to get if the wind blew as someone mentioned. Through the years I seemed to be less prone to getting it. Don't know why, age I guess. Of course age has its draw backs too.
BJW

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG I woke up this morning and on the drive to work I look down on my arm and... Poison Ivy!! Itchy itchy!! Funny thing is, I haven't been outside hunting for 2 days.... maybe it's on my clothes??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread