anyone near austin p.a ..........? give me a

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I don't live in Austin area, but get down there quite often for camping and metal detecting.
Pass in on to us if you would like to.
Thanks, Clayton

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too used to hang out up thatta way...love the country. Went up there last year and did some detecting scouting but weeds were high and you gotta watch out for the rattlers around Austin.
I'd be interested in your lead also.
Al

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I think that all of us in PA would be interested in the lead. Could you please post it in the PA section. Thanks.

OP
OP
pinebarrens1

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok here goes.......there was a dam in the austin are the brike in the early 1900s . i read in a old artacle that the whole dam area is loaded with coins , jewlery and safes in the ground ....all wash washed away ..... .......if you find something there remember meeeeeeeeeee...pine

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey pine,
Thats the area i was scouting last fall. Scrool to the next page and you can see the pics I posted when I was there.

This would be the time, before the weeds get a big foothold...but I doubt they've fallen over or are any less thick right now.

That article Jeff pasted, I believe, as interesting as it sounds...i doubt those guys found anything there. An electronic detector next to power transformers? I highly doubt that it would work with the intense electromagnetic field that the transformers would put out. I took some pics of that very area. And it would have to be a darn small safe if 2 guys could lift it. Not much in contents.

I'll have to take a trip back to the library or historical society to find the one pic I've never seen posted on that.

It shows a bunch of guys standing in front of a debris pile that is probably 4 stories high. It's where all the houses and what-not piled up at the base of a bridge right below Austin. The bridge isnt there anymore, I think is was a rail bridge.
By my estimations, and I've been researching this for years, that area is somewhere near where the new elementary school is.

I think if you truely wanted to find treasure from that flood, you'd need goggles and be able to stand the cold water of the creek. It's those deep pockets in the creek,(where i fished dozens of times over my youth), that I believe the gold would have sunk and stayed put. Just like sluicing...gold is heavy and probably didnt travel very far.
Now the safes would be a whole different story. You'd need to do some serious brush hogging to even begin to find them. Is it worth it? Labor intensive, rattlers, private property all along parts of the creek.
I'd say those safes are lost for good until some developer comes along and decides to clear cut some areas.

I'm thinking in a few weeks, once the rainy season lets up a bit, of going back up there to wade down the creek and poke around some. Take my chest waders, a stick for poking rocks where rattlers may be...and maybe dunk my head in a few of those deep pools. Who knows...if nothing else, I'll have a nice healthy hike and maybe a few more pics to post of the area.

Appreciate your sharing your info.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread