Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a permit from the parks department to "utilize" my metal detector in all of the county parks. However, what does this mean:

"You must not disturb turf, grass, sod or any other plant material in the park. If you are extremely cautious not to contact any buried utiliities, you are permitted to probe with a screwdriver or similar device."

Does that mean I am not allowed to dig any of the signals? That I have to probe around with a damn screwdriver?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To me, it means don't use the big shovel. :-\

I would concentrate on what it DOESN'T say. It DOESN'T SAY you can't DIG.

Be discrete, use the garden trowel, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy.

DCMatt

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you obtain a permit for County Parks? I was told to stay out of all County parks in Chester County which is a bummer because there are three real nice areas real close to me. I always thought it was accross the board with certain rules. Meaning Statewide.

B

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baspinall said:
How did you obtain a permit for County Parks? I was told to stay out of all County parks in Chester County which is a bummer because there are three real nice areas real close to me. I always thought it was accross the board with certain rules. Meaning Statewide.

B

I wrote a short letter to the Director of Park Recreation for Allegheny County, requesting permission to metal detect in the county parks. I included some jargon about being careful not to destroy anything, and to only detect in places that were not "historically significant." I sent it on Monday, included a stamped return envelope, and I received the letter today. I can send you what I sent if you want the details. I was actually surprised I received a response at all, let alone a postive response only days later.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And by historically significant, I meant areas such as the Oliver Miller Homestead in one of the parks here. It was built in the 1700's and is an attraction, with period-dressed park employees, tours, etc. Though the permit said nothing about metal detecting in these areas, I am not going to take my chances at a spot like that.

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
No Trowels allowed, screwdriver only. Here is a post on the subject http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,77727.0.html

I have pulled over 20,000 coins out of turf with only a screwdriver and up to 7 inches deep. I can get you some links to the subject of recovery with a screwdriver if you would like. I can recover items fster than with a trowel 95% of the time, it just takes practice. I do use a trowel, but only about once every 100 coins. No, not all clad. Barber dimes, mercs, WL halves, Indian heads, all with a screwdriver. That is the best way to get invitations back to hunt well manicured lawns of private homes.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
utah hunter said:
No Trowels allowed, screwdriver only. Here is a post on the subject http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,77727.0.html

I have pulled over 20,000 coins out of turf with only a screwdriver and up to 7 inches deep. I can get you some links to the subject of recovery with a screwdriver if you would like. I can recover items fster than with a trowel 95% of the time, it just takes practice. I do use a trowel, but only about once every 100 coins. No, not all clad. Barber dimes, mercs, WL halves, Indian heads, all with a screwdriver. That is the best way to get invitations back to hunt well manicured lawns of private homes.

Thanks, I would be interested in seeing those links.

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Here is a link on tnet, I posted my technique in the 3rd post. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,101151.msg735399.html#msg735399 It will be challenging at first, but to get to detect those parks it should be more than worth it. Make sure the screwdriver is good quality, it will last a long time. A cheap screwdriver will break, and if you don't have a spare it is a long drive back home...
Breaking the rules and digging, or even carrying a trowel while detecting in those parks will go a long way to getting them banned completely, I personally wouldn't risk it

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, Allegheny County writes permits...huh!!!
I've been detecting North Park since the 80's and never had a peep from anyone. Was just out there about a month ago.
I use an old army knife and cut plugs.

There really isn't any "manicured" lawns in that park. The ball fields are somewhat groomed but are by no means a show place lawn.

The park police don't even notice you there. I guess they are so used to people with detectors there. They just dont want to see that guy with a shovel...that's all.

Knowing what you do and pretty much the way I go about it with busybodies....If anyone is peering too close...I use the knife as a probe. Know one knows what you're doing unless they're right on top of you.

I've had nothing but good responses from people there and there is still lots of silver to find at some of those old forgotten shelters.

Back in the mid 80's we did a group hunt there, can't remember where exactly, but one fellow pulled out a couple gold coins that about a dozen people detected right past.
He wouldnt say where the exact spot was but had gone back several times and found more gold coins in the area.

I'll give you one good hint about N.Park. The further away from the pool you are..the less trash you'll seem to find. And a lot of those shelters right along the lake are pretty trashy but i've found to be the best producers.
Those on the hill, away from everything have very little but some oldies pop up. Seems those were for the party people that wanted privacy.

I used to have an older map with all the shelters on it and was trying to systematically hit each one. They've abandoned quite a few of them and there is a newer map of the park. Just stop by the admin. building...they're free. The admin building is at the far end of the lake.

Heck...they care more about people feeding the geese and ducks than detectorists. Don't feed the ducks, its against the law. :tard:
Al

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal said:
Well, Allegheny County writes permits...huh!!!
I've been detecting North Park since the 80's and never had a peep from anyone. Was just out there about a month ago.
I use an old army knife and cut plugs.

There really isn't any "manicured" lawns in that park. The ball fields are somewhat groomed but are by no means a show place lawn.

The park police don't even notice you there. I guess they are so used to people with detectors there. They just dont want to see that guy with a shovel...that's all.

Knowing what you do and pretty much the way I go about it with busybodies....If anyone is peering too close...I use the knife as a probe. Know one knows what you're doing unless they're right on top of you.

I've had nothing but good responses from people there and there is still lots of silver to find at some of those old forgotten shelters.

Back in the mid 80's we did a group hunt there, can't remember where exactly, but one fellow pulled out a couple gold coins that about a dozen people detected right past.
He wouldnt say where the exact spot was but had gone back several times and found more gold coins in the area.

I'll give you one good hint about N.Park. The further away from the pool you are..the less trash you'll seem to find. And a lot of those shelters right along the lake are pretty trashy but i've found to be the best producers.
Those on the hill, away from everything have very little but some oldies pop up. Seems those were for the party people that wanted privacy.

I used to have an older map with all the shelters on it and was trying to systematically hit each one. They've abandoned quite a few of them and there is a newer map of the park. Just stop by the admin. building...they're free. The admin building is at the far end of the lake.

Heck...they care more about people feeding the geese and ducks than detectorists. Don't feed the ducks, its against the law. :tard:
Al

Rather than taking a chance of getting booted out and not welcomed back, I decided to ask permission, and it worked amazingly lol . It's good to know that these parks seem to be open to detectors anyway, and glad you never got hastled.

Are the older, unused shelters listed on the new park maps at the admin building?

Hoof Hearted

Feb 2, 2006
PA
I would be very interested to see the details in your letter. Park Rangers always give me a hard time, I don't know why. They always seem bothered by the big question. It should be recognized as a recreational activity just like everything else, although it's more to me than just that. I hate how it's at the bottom of the ladder. Every other activity has the right away. It would be nice to have a pass that says I'm good people and throw up a wave to the PR.

Kiros32 said:
baspinall said:

B

I wrote a short letter to the Director of Park Recreation for Allegheny County, requesting permission to metal detect in the county parks. I included some jargon about being careful not to destroy anything, and to only detect in places that were not "historically significant." I sent it on Monday, included a stamped return envelope, and I received the letter today. I can send you what I sent if you want the details. I was actually surprised I received a response at all, let alone a postive response only days later.

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoof Hearted said:
I would be very interested to see the details in your letter. Park Rangers always give me a hard time, I don't know why. They always seem bothered by the big question. It should be recognized as a recreational activity just like everything else, although it's more to me than just that. I hate how it's at the bottom of the ladder. Every other activity has the right away. It would be nice to have a pass that says I'm good people and throw up a wave to the PR.

Kiros32 said:
baspinall said:

B

Here is the letter that I sent to the county. Feel free to use the guts if you wish.

Attachments

• permission.JPG
    permission.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,278

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a couple shelters not listed anymore and if you drive around that park as much as i have, you'll definately notice where they used to be. The map shows all the roads and trails and boundries. There is a map online, at least there used to be. I'll have to double check that.
Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread