Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi and welcome....

Never heard of Matamoras so I looked at it thru Google Earth. WOW...you guys got some serious alien looking landscape there. What is Wallowing Hole? And that weird ridge that runs along through there????

I'm sure you'll get a few folk chiming in. Looks like a cool area ...gotta be some old hot spots along the Delaware.

Al

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Definately some history along the Delaware river.
I know there's lots of old historic houses just over the river in Port Jervis, NY. too.
I'm through there often along Rt. 84.
I've drove around some in Port Jervis, but never in Matamoras.
Another very old town right near there, that seemed to me to have lots of great MDing potential is Milford, PA.

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I called the mayors office earlier this year , he has no problem individuals detecting Airport park , also the old bell farm was located there as well . But the only problem is, its a heavy trash area , must of been used as a dump for Matamoras and Milford late 1800s . Pennsylvania is pretty good for detectorist as almost all State parks allow metal detecting , and certain parts of State forests , I would also visit http://shohola.org/ as there is allot of history in the area , Shohola was a major crossing and traveling path for Indian tribes for over 10,000 years , traveling from the Hudson valley to the Susquehanna valley ,
It also seems Port Jervis has no metal detecting Laws , as I wrote the park commissioner earlier in the spring ,he says he sees individually metal detecting around the beach and parks and nos of no ordinance baring detecting , Port Jervis around the river area , especially near the Erie Railroad station has promise both Port Jerivs and Milford pa where busy hot spots in the early to mid 1700s .
Plus there is much forest and sticks that are not posted , so use your own judgment when detecting . just make sure you know the boundaries of the National Park and keep out everything from Milford to the left is National Park , when traveling on route 2001 everything to the Left is National park , the upper Delaware from Hancock to Port Jervis the river area coast and its tributaries are national park , I'm not sure how many yards from the shore is considered protected areas .
I found a couple of good spots , but been busy and waiting for the vegetation to dry out a bit , but Trust me there is allot of Good spots in the area , use google earth you ll find a few .

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
camper said:
anyone live or know of places to detect in matamoras pa? camper

There are 2 cities named Matamoras in PA. One is near the PA/NJ border and the other is near the Harrisburg/York area. Which one are you referring to? :icon_study: ...........................Rich

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
let me look through my things. Please give me a little bit and I will post what I have. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread