Treasure_Hunters Parrots, Ruby and Jade...........An Eclectus and a Quaker

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter's Parrots, Ruby and Jade...........An Eclectus and a Quaker

Ruby is a female Eclectus Parrot (Vasmaeri is her sub specie)

The Eclectus Parrot is native to the Solomon Islands, New Guinea, northeastern Australia and the Maluku Islands (Moluccas).

Eclectus are remarkable birds and they ideally suited as a pet. When taught properly, they are capable of cognitive behaviour from a very young age.

They will bond to entire family, where many other parrots only bond to one family member, will tollerate a second member and all others better beware.

Eclectus parrots are generally classified among the top three parrots for talking ability. Rivaling the African Grey and the talking Amazon parrots in clarity of speech and scope of vocabulary, they not only repeat many words and phrases but some learn entire songs.

On average they will live 30 years if taken care of.......

ARRK.jpg

DSC01896.jpg

DSC01730.jpg

CopyofRuby.jpg

Jade is a Quaker Parrot, also known as a Monk Parrot. She was a Christmas present I gave to my wife in 2003.

Quakers are very confident and social birds. They love to interact with their "flock" and are known around the world for their exceptional talking ability. In captivity, they tend to bond very closely with one person, and are known for their loyal nature. Most hand fed Quakers are quite gentle and many make wonderful pets for younger bird owners.

Jade is a momma's girl, she has bonded well with me, but she still is my wifes parrot. She is a very sweet parrot, who will nuzzle with you one moment and give you a love bite the next....

Here is Jade on Christmas Day, 6 months old.

DSC01287.jpg

DSC01321.jpg
DSC01331.jpg

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Treasure_Hunter's Parrots, Ruby and Jade...........An Eclectus and a Quaker

Beautiful birds! I bet they really bring your home to life when they are both talking.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

extractor,

Thanks for the compliment on our babies, yes they add a lot to the family.

They both talk up a storm, Ruby will call you when she knows your near, she speaks very clear, and some of her sayings are I love mama, I love daddy, I love grandma, come here, go back, mama, baby girl, hello, goodbye, more, take a dollar, and on occasion, who made this mess............ She use to say "hey big man", and "let me hold a dollar", but I could never get her to say the entire sentence at the same time. I am sure there are other words she speaks that I can't think of at the moment.

If we teach a word to Jade, she will teach it to Ruby. Jade talks more then Ruby, says everything Ruby says plus says more, and whistles the tune to Mayberry, and will whistle Dixie sometime.... She is easier to teach then Ruby, although Ruby is clearer.

They are both shy in public and do not talk as much when we have them out with us. They go to all garage sales we go to as well as flea markets and parks. If I had know how much attention parrots attract from pretty girls I would have bought one when I was single, talk about a babe magnet..............

Ruby will sit on my shoulder no matter where I go and observe. Some time when we are out she will let out with a loud wolf whistle, and women turn to look at me and I point to Ruby and say it wasn't me it was her......Now of course I am some what guility, I taught her. She also whistles like a quail, and a whippoorwill.

When they both get to talking at the same time, you would swear there are a couple people in the living room carrying on a conversation.........

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Great birds & great post! I never would have thought about one bird teaching another bird words, but I can see how it happens! ;D

Sounds like a lively time at home when they are chatting it up! :thumbsup:

KJ$IPW

Dec 6, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III, Whites 4900dl pro plus

Beautiful birds......they could sit on your detector, and you would your own version of Treasure Talk :sign10:
HH
Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread