whats the best dog food???

slide95

Mar 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of Purina like Pro Plan is basically good. I also like Bil Jac frozen and Innova. Eagle Pack is good, Canidae, Nutro Ultra, there is good and bad in all feed. None are perfect. With 8 Shepherds I will not cook and make the meals I would live in the kitchen and I do not like feeding RAW as u must add so much more to it. Veggies purreed, vitamins, etc. Pick what fits the dog and does well on it and be happy.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I get 10 pounds of chicken for $5.90. Bake some every 3 days with a pot of rice for the dog. IMG_4926.jpg

Old dog turns 18 in November. Now all he does is sleep and patrols the yard.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
A few years ago my dog was being fed those bacon strips for dogs which he loved. We had to stop. The dog kept faring in the car something awful, like a horrible stink bomb. We figured out it was the bacon strips.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a JRT and have tried to be very careful with her diet - she's constantly eating grass and pukes probably 4 times a week (going to the vet for further testing). One thing I think we did do right was to check the ingredients - absolutely NOTHING from China allowed in her food and you need to be careful. Food made in the USA may be sourced from China. However, the vet thinks we made a mistake by unintentionally switching to a grain-free diet because grain-free doesn't supply her with the necessary level of Taurine... (don't ask me what that is). We've now added Fr*shPet (no brand names), that stuff that comes in a refrigerated roll like bologna and the vet says she's getting the taurine she needs from that without the need for a supplement.

Having said that, I think every dog has their own special preferred diet. Our JRT loved the beef knuckle bones until she fractured a rear tooth. No more bones. I'm sure she'll get plenty of bones to chew on the other side. Like Will Rogers said, "If dogs don't go to Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went." Couldn't have said it better myself.
dts

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get 10 pounds of chicken for $5.90. Bake some every 3 days with a pot of rice for the dog. View attachment 1738248

Old dog turns 18 in November. Now all he does is sleep and patrols the yard.

One of the best answers. commercial dog food has all kinds of fillers, chemicals and who knows what kind of meat. Not good for your dog. We have had dogs forever and always buy hamburg, chicken, lamb, ham and stew beef for them. We combine cooked rice, green beans, carrots and make a gravy with the meat. We also buy dog minerals\vitamins to put in the food. We have found it's cheaper than buying dog food and they are really healthy. Yes. it takes time but you can spend one afternoon cooking, freezing the meals and have enough for a couple of weeks. If I'm cooking for us and make rice, chicken, ham I'll make double (half without the seasoning) for the dogs.

The main problem with this is if you have been feeding them other dog food you will have to wean them off it slowly or else they become poop and vomit factories. Ask me how I know....

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My dog is 13 years old and still has the energy of a puppy. All I've ever fed her is Purina One-Lamb and Rice. She's healthy as an ox and her coat looks good, too.

slide95

Mar 11, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of Purina like Pro Plan is basically good. I also like Bil Jac frozen and Innova. Eagle Pack is good, Canidae, Nutro Ultra, there is good and bad in all feed. None are perfect. With 8 Shepherds I will not cook and make the meals I would live in the kitchen and I do not like feeding RAW as u must add so much more to it. Veggies purreed, vitamins, etc. Pick what fits the dog and does well on it and be happy.

None are perfect. With 8 Shepherds I will not cook and make the meals I would live in the kitchen and I do not like feeding RAW as u must add so much more to it.

Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.l.l

ethanmiller

Jul 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
different people have different opinions. I think it depend on your dog breed which food suits him but the best food for dog is Pedigree Complete Nutrition Dry Dog Food

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
so my update is i started boiling hamburger and mixing it with american journey rice and salmon.its working out great.
thanks for all the help
brad

RachelWyatt

Jan 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
different people have different opinions. I think it depend on your dog breed which food suits him but the best food for dog is Pedigree Complete Nutrition tv pinoy Dry Dog Food

Pedigree sucks, unless you want to feed your dog the nasty parts of an animal that no one else will use, like the bits and pieces with cancer and tumors and infection. It's made of pure filler - not good for dogs, but cheap.

Any of the affordable brands that you can buy in the grocery store are awful, filled with nasty fillers, and nothing that a dog would eat naturally. Although Purina has surprised me with their Beyond® label - meat and vegetables with no grain or fillers! I'm impressed that they have jumped on the natural feeding bandwagon! Bravo!

On the Drools website, you really have to hunt for an ingredients list which is not a good sign, but I think it's a "natural" product with no fillers, with chicken advertised as the first main ingredient in the adult dry dog food.

The best dog food to feed your dog is the most expensive natural meat based diet without grain that you can afford. You will save a heck of a lot of money in the long run on vet bills such as teeth cleaning, parasite control and more serious issues. Dogs' digestive systems are not designed to ingest grains as a main diet. That's why you see so many "natural" dog foods on the market these days, with the mass market producers like Purina getting with the program and producing meat based grain free diets. They want to compete in the marketplace that is producing dog food according to the latest research! Meat based and grain and filler free!

So, do the best that you can, which may involve a little research in the beginning (like you're doing with this excellent question!), and you will have a healthy dog that will be your partner for many healthy years!

I wish you (and your wallet) the best of luck!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Pedigree sucks, unless you want to feed your dog the nasty parts of an animal that no one else will use, like the bits and pieces with cancer and tumors and infection. It's made of pure filler - not good for dogs, but cheap.

Any of the affordable brands that you can buy in the grocery store are awful, filled with nasty fillers, and nothing that a dog would eat naturally. Although Purina has surprised me with their Beyond® label - meat and vegetables with no grain or fillers! I'm impressed that they have jumped on the natural feeding bandwagon! Bravo!

On the Drools website, you really have to hunt for an ingredients list which is not a good sign, but I think it's a "natural" product with no fillers, with chicken advertised as the first main ingredient in the adult dry dog food.

The best dog food to feed your dog is the most expensive natural meat based diet without grain that you can afford. You will save a heck of a lot of money in the long run on vet bills such as teeth cleaning, parasite control and more serious issues. Dogs' digestive systems are not designed to ingest grains as a main diet. That's why you see so many "natural" dog foods on the market these days, with the mass market producers like Purina getting with the program and producing meat based grain free diets. They want to compete in the marketplace that is producing dog food according to the latest research! Meat based and grain and filler free!

So, do the best that you can, which may involve a little research in the beginning (like you're doing with this excellent question!), and you will have a healthy dog that will be your partner for many healthy years!

I wish you (and your wallet) the best of luck!

I have a 12 year old lab who thinks she is still 5. All that she gets is dry Pedigree Complete, and she looks great!

Tedy321

Jan 7, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think natural food, but you also need to give supplements with vitamins.

junnor

Tenderfoot
Nov 17, 2021
There are many different foods out there that are perfectly good for a dog. Of caurse, natural foods are healthier. But I also never forget about supplements. I get them from and add them regularly to my Barnie's ration. I think the food you dog likes the best is perfectly fine, as long as it suits your dog. Does your dog like it? Does he look healthy, with a shiny coat and eyes? Does he have plenty of energy? And, most importantly, of course, does he make good poos with it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread