whats the best dog food???

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have aging dogs and use the Sam's club Purina Moist and Meaty. Its soft and they seem to enjoy it. Here it is 20 bucks for 60 count packages at 6 oz a piece.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know but I'll be your vet will offer you up something expensive. I have cats.

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have been an Iams feeder for years. Our dogs have done very well on it and I am always getting compliments on how nice their coats look.

On a side note: All that cheap dog food does is make bigger piles in the yard! Most cheap dog food is half filler, so to get enough nutrition, you have to feed more. Buy the good stuff!

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
not looking for cheap ,just not crazy,she has a weak stomach.i will look into Iams
thank you brad

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to help you out, but I just don't eat the stuff myself! :laughing7:

firemanphob

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2018
Lanesville, IN
Detector(s) used
White Coin master 4000
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my experience, that is like asking what the best automobile or the best anything is. You can ask 100 people and get 100 different answers on what is absolutely the best. I fed Science diet for years and it was good but many are good. Keyapaha was right in the fact that you do not have to feed nearly as much of a quality feed and won't have nearly as much to scoop.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
try blu buffalo...sensitive stomach:.........usflag:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no best.

A raw food diet with 10% bone can really make some dogs do well.
Meat enzymes affect teeth too. For the better.

I'm no fan of corn t o feed a dog.
Many current grain free offerings have peas in them. What do legumes do for/to canines?

Even with better brands (and better brands can and do change formulas and suppliers ect..) they lack things your dog would benefit from. Taurine perhaps...Or a trace mineral missing.
By changing brand or formula at intervals (gradually by blending with prior recipe so not to shock a digestive system) the gamble of picking up something missing from the previous formula might be gained. But ingredients need studied regardless.

Ask your vet what your dog needs. (not saying the vet will be spot on ,but you can research to see what gets confirmed.) Not in a brand , but in food itself.

I raised a breed for a decade and had other dogs all along.
While a raw food diet appeals (there are sources for interesting ingredients I'll not dwell on ,but lacking space for a chest freezer is one excuse for dodging such a diet.
And clean up after feeding raw when I have adds up with lots of dogs involved.

One thing you might consider for starters in a food choice after determining it is food good for a dog vs good for the manufacturers pocket , is what protein level suits your dog. Then the amount of fat.

Older dogs and less active dogs don't benefit from a high protein diet usually.
And in some cases it can be harmful.

Keeping a good weight on your dog ( vs overweight )matters over time too.
Consult your vets opinion of course , but green beans can be a good filler.

Whelping *****es we cook up meals of white rice , mix with boiled and drained hamburg and add a generous dollop of cottage cheese.
Easy on the belly . Digestible a bit faster , and keeps weight decent.

A dog chewing it's feet or licking them alot without a yard or home or injury relationship can be showing signs of allergy to a diet.
With lots of dogs being fed the same diet among their numbers it is not unusual for one to have an issue with a type food, that the others don't.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
And I didn't mention when asking a vet about a certain dogs needs ,(and/or researching on your own)amount and type of fiber.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard the Blue Buffalo is good. Your vet will have a lot of choices, or be able to recommend something like relevantchair mentioned.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
For dogs with a weak stomach, I would also suggest boiling white Rice. Add boiled de-boned Chicken for some meals and boiled Lamb for other meals. Make sure to include some vegetables with the meals and you can even add some powdered Mushrooms (the ones that provide the most benefit) to at least one meal a day. Chaga, Reishi and Maitake Mushrooms provide the most benefits health-wise for humans, dogs, cats and other animals as well but there are a lot of other Mushrooms available that also provide significant health benefits.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Everyone here has great suggestions. Ask your vet his opinion the next time you take her in for a check up. I too heard that rice is good for digestion. Make sure to read the ingredients and don't buy the stuff using "filler". I spent extra on Simon because I wanted him around for a long time. ( He was a 126# White German Shepherd ). Also, there are several websites, that stay up to date on pet food recalls and this is important because the recalls seldom make the news yet takes many, many pet's lives. https://www.petful.com/recall-lists/dog-food-recalls/ is just one site. Take good care of her 1637 and she will return the favor :notworthy:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Hills Science Diet... My dog looks great and has nice and slimy solid poops.... 20190626_184655[1].jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As said, you can consult your vet and see what their recommendation might be. We feed our 3 year old Aussie Purina Pro Plan Salmon and Rice for sensitive stomaches. She really likes the food, and has plenty of energy with a healthy looking coat. The food is a little more than the cheap stuff, but not over the top expensive. Best of luck to you and your pal.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Duffy (our 14 mo old Airedale Terrier) gets plain 'ol dry Purina One Dog Chow Lamb & Rice. We supplement with marrow bones from the butcher (we freeze 2" sections), training treats (duck jerky), carrots, apple slices, etc. and a raw egg occasionally.

He also treats the world as his buffet and God knows what he finds to eat. We have to enclose the cat litter boxes. Not real worried about gourmet food after that.

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have an eight year old half Brittany, half English Setter. Started out w/ Iams mini chunks, & several years ago switched to Sportmix- Wholesomes available at Tractor Supply. It is a No Corn, No Wheat, No Soy formula at less than a Dollar a pound. She likes the Lamb Meal & Rice version, but can get Chicken/ Rice, Fish meal / Rice & maybe one other flavor.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's another one for Science Diet (small bites). Our dog loves it, and she's 7 years old. Also used Science Diet for sensitive stomachs when we had our cats.

Grey

Greenie
Jul 16, 2019
USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's hard to judge by a photo and little description, it's better to ask a vet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread