A hunt that never happened thank god

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Its 40 years since what about to tell you took place ...I have never talked about this but today it just pop in my mind ....Its when i found out my son was a treasure hunter ...The story starts in 1979 my son in his last year of High School and he gets the word that he has to register just in case there a draft ...So we had a long talk about this he knew my story of me and my father ... So my son asked me was i going to put the fix in like what my father did for me ...I told my son he was out of luck and he could go to college instead if he wanted ...A few days later i asked what his plans were ...That when i got the shock of my life he told me his plan ...He showed me a plan book and what he called his treasure map ..I looked at all the material and there was a issue of natural geographic magazine and the map was of tehran of the Us embassy and the treasures of Iran right across the street ...In the magazine was all the photos of the treasure ...He told me if he got drafted like his grand father this was his plan ,,,Well he never got drafted and soon he was in class surrounded by Iranians thank god ...At least i kept my promise to my father No more wars for nothing for our family ....my father was the best

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
XLV, I read your posts because they have substance and depth. And you are usually right up against the fence of permitted thoughts, topics, or opinions. You are obviously a free thinker, and feel free to speak your mind.

My response to your above post is you enjoy those intellectual freedoms because of those who sacrificed. Sacrificed only a few years of freedom to serve, or sacrificed their health for life, or sacrificed their lives, literally.

You are welcome. It was my pleasure to serve you.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Kray your service is greatly appreciated....

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
My father grand father was a Colonel in the civil war He died in the street on Madison street in lower manhattan where he lived in 1873 ...I read what his troops said on the tiffany sword they gave him and the letter i read they wrote they honored him ...He died at the age of 34 he went crazy and froze to death in the street ...my father 2 brothers got killed in ww2 and his father died in 1944 days later he was drafted at the age of 25... My dad blamed FDR not Hilter and died in 1969 during that other war ...My dad was a common laborer but i never be as smart as he was ....I kept my promise to the day i die and i made my son make the same promise ,,,God Bless America and RIP

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I served during Nam, 2 of my brothers served, my father and 7 uncles served during WWII, multiple cousins have all served, my Nephew just enlisted in Army, my great grandfather served in 1st Florida Infantry during the Civil war as well. I Havent traced family history any further.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There was no draft in 79 in the US

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
In this new age i keep hearing bad things about what goes on with teaching in college ....Let me point out in the early 80' s a teacher at college made a big difference in my son life ...i still remember his name after talking to him in 1980 ....At the time the book i remember my son showing me was journal of psychohistory written by his teacher david beisel ...I remembered what my son said ...dad this teacher can smoke you and probably drink you under the table ....I what to thank you david ... what i learned from my son you opened both of our minds .... And my son to this day says you were right about everything ...I forget what branch of the service my son said he was in ...i just looked at a video of him i guess he still with us he looks the same age as me ...No brain washing back then my son proof of that

Last edited:
OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife family old homestead me and my son went metal detecting in the early 80' s the new head stone wasn't there back then So old Elekial fought for America and i always thought he fought for the British
Funny thing was history leaves out if i remember right the government dynamited his potato fields in 1933 headline front page of the new york times newspaper ramsey son told me that his father won't move.....Yes it illegal to detect there but that my son family....http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2013/08/trip-report-conklin-cemetery-and-pine.html

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions