Glass negitives

Sep 29, 2013
Hi my name is Donna . I just joined, as I have a storage unit full of great items that I've been collecting over 30 years. I feel I'm among my kind here. It's time to downsize some others like my collection of glass negatives of Native Americans!ill be keeping .

Question. Can anyone help me get in contact with anyone that can make prints out of them for me.? I of course will pay them for the service
Is it possible to make sepia prints anymore?
Thanks in advance for your time. Donna

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found a few sites online...but your best bet is find a local college or university art department...most have a fine arts program that includes photography...
some student is waiting for a chance to develop glass plates.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have printed glass plates in my darkroom from the early 1900's that my grand father took. It's amazing how sharp the prints are and yes it's a simple process to make sepia prints. I would be very careful if you have to ship them in the mail, they should be individually wrapped. Maybe you could a home hobbyist near you that could print them.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
What size are the plates? A problem over the last 30-40 years is enlargers that will hold large glass plates are getting scarce. If the plates are really large like 8 x 10 you could use a simple contact box and bypass the enlarger. It's a light box where the plate and paper are sandwiched together and exposed. It's the simplest way to print. One could be Rube Goldberged if necessary.
Sepia is a toner and can still be had. B and H photo I think still carries it.
I asked a photo shop here if darkroom equipment was worth selling. He said he'd make me the same offer he makes to everyone. $25 a pickup load. Sad.

Your Native American collection might have value. There's a lot of interest where I live. Pippin also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread