Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any specific locations?
Since you're looking for aerial photos in the 1800s (before the airplane), I'll assume you looking for photos from balloons-- with or without propulsion.

Here's the pic of an aerial camera from about 1916. http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_C157.html

Search out any L-4, A-2, K-1, K-3 or K-5 Kodak; they're all aerial cameras used during WW I.
Don.....

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Thank you hombre de plata flaco & Mackaydon
Yes, I have seen the 1916 Thornton-Pickard. I am looking for anything from the 1800's. Chances are it is going to be French made and a U.S. Army or U.S. Navy owned camera. They were use in combination with a balloon and I have yet to find one, but someone out there has one, or a photo of one.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Another source might be the Civil War Photography Archive:
www.civilwarphotography.org
P. O. Box 1740
Oldsmar, Florida 34677

Have you researched Gaspar Felix Tournachon who, in the 1850s and '60s, photographed French scenes while tethered to to a baloon. Pics of him might also disclose his camera.

The same holds true for James Wallace Black who did aerial pics of Boston in 1860. Again, pics of him might also show his camera.
Don.........

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Thanks for that. Yes, I have read quite a bit about both. I am trying to locate images that are available to the pubic, I guess in a personal collection. It seems difficult, but someone has an image that the are sitting on. Anything. I will look at the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread