gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this guy looking for the elusive giant millipede, which is a tough one to find. Old rotten logs in deep woods in Northern NY. I have never seen this species. Taken with zoom lens at five feet. salamander.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
After some google work, this is the Red-spotted newt, common in NYS. Mildly poisonous to some predators. They are born in the water, this is the "teenage" stage, where it becomes terrestrial, a land lubber. After it gets fully matured, it turns a completely different color, and morphs into a different looking beast, green, grey, yellow, the tail flattens out for swimming, but still has red spots, and goes back living in the water again. Very handsome fellow and seemed not to be bothered by handling, and seemed in no hurry to escape my grasp.

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who was looking for the elusive giant millipede-you or the newt? : ) If it was the newt, ok that's cool, but if it was you I have to play girl and go, "ew!" I'll take snakes over millipedes anyday!

One time when I was bottle digging in South Jersey, I accidently cut the leg off a red newt/salamander that was underground in fairly soft moist soil (I didn't know he was there). I was so upset that I just covered the poor little guy back up again and didn't dig anymore that day. Mine was about 5" long-do you think that he was the same as yours or another kind? I can't remember if he was spotted and unfortunately Googling "newt, New Jersey" doesn't help-all I keep getting is Newt Gingrich! : )

OP
OP
gleaner1

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The red spotted newt is so common, yet nobody sees it too much. I never even heard of the stinkin little bastages before. When my buddy found it I sharted myself, no, really, I was beside myself, I am glad I had the sony with me. I google them and find that they are common pets found in pet stores, and I remember seeing them now that I think about it, in pet stores, you put them in your fish tank. I've been grubbin' around the woods and creeks for forty plus years lookin for bottle dumps and such and aint never seen this critter before. I did find once, long ago, a big monster white colored newt critter under a rock about ten miles from this site. It was so gruesome and repulsive that I, myself, could not bear to capture it, it was so awesome and gross, I wish I had a camera back then. I cant find it on the net, I think it is an unknown "lost" species, but it would take an expedition to rediscover it, and it would be known as the Gleaner Newt. No, really. My good friend swears to God Himself that the big azz millipede is in this area and I believe him. But it is so frikin drought around here this year, everything is wacked dried up, I never seen the creeks and rivers so low, ever. But, we are still trying to find the World's Biggest Azz Northern Hemisphere Millipede from Hell, and I will post pics of it when we get it, I swear to God I will. It's just a matter of time. Pics of cool tree frogs soon, just got them today. Also working on Cicada Killer Wasps, big as your thumb and twice as terrifying. Best Regards to all, gleaner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread