New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, what would you recommend as a good rugged, reasonably priced (100.00 or less) digital camera for getting very closeup shots of coins. If I had a better phone this really wouldn't be an issue. Just with my phone it's very complicated with the two year contract and such. Ease of up load on my desktop would factor into it also. I'll have to check to see if just upgrading now wouldn't cost me the same one year down the road after totaling this camera with next years upgrade cost. Just wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a cheap camera that does a great closeup job.

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an Olympus VG-160 which is rated 14 mexpixal, but you can change settings and get the photos size down to less than one meg for faster uploads and still have nice photos. the camera was selected by me, for it's Macro capabilities, it can take a photo of a coin with lens about 1.5 inch to two inch away from lens when set on super macro seting. It has two macro settings. Uses a SD card memory chip, internal battery built in, so you charge it with a AC/DC adapter to the wall socket. Very small, about size of a pack of cigarettes except about half as thick as same.
cost is $74 on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Olympus VG-160 14MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black): Camera & Photo

also it takes movies if you want.

example of a photo I just took with super macro (this is a setting, not some add on junk) on the camera set to one meg size photo: (size 314,000 bytes)
attachment.php

of my personal Encased cent, this one with an Unc 1908 Indian head cent, this has a custom Obverse die and custom Rev. die.

Last edited:
OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Olympus VG-160 which is rated 14 mexpixal, but you can change settings and get the photos size down to less than one meg for faster uploads and still have nice photos. the camera was selected by me, for it's Macro capabilities, it can take a photo of a coin with lens about 1.5 inch to two inch away from lens when set on super macro seting. It has two macro settings. Uses a SD card memory chip, internal battery built in, so you charge it with a AC/DC adapter to the wall socket. Very small, about size of a pack of cigarettes except about half as thick as same.
cost is $74 on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Olympus VG-160 14MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom (Black): Camera & Photo

also it takes movies if you want.

example of a photo I just took with super macro (this is a setting, not some add on junk) on the camera set to one meg size photo: (size 314,000 bytes)
attachment.php

of my personal Encased cent, this one with an Unc 1908 Indian head cent, this has a custom Obverse die and custom Rev. die.

Will it go closer then that?
What do you think about this one
Amazon.com: Nikon COOLPIX S3500 20.1 MP Digital Camera with 7x Zoom (Silver): NIKON: Camera & Photo

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes it will get much closer than that.
IMAGE_OBV_201104.jpg

the treasurenet forum website makes the photo smaller in size. as above.

original larger pic: http://tokencatalog.com/images/fullsize-00040/IMAGE_OBV_201104.jpg

token about size of a dime;
for most of those I raise the pix size to 3 megs and crop the photo using standard software on computer to crop out everything but the object of the photo.

you will note on the large pix linked above it is about 655 pixels square. 825 thousand bytes.

Last edited:

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
@treblehunter

its not so much the fact that if the camera can get closer to the subject, its how you achieve this. Mostly I really on getting a crisp and clear image first and most any camera can do this.. The thing that one must learn to excel in is using the editing software after taking the shot. So unless you have a microscope.. best get those clear images first then crop them for close ups with the editing software.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread