Photographic Tips

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Determining Your Storage Device

The dictionary's definition of Flash card: "An electronic card or device having the capacity to store words, numerals, pictures or data."

SD card or more commonly referred to as "Flash Cards" or "Memory Sticks" store more image then you camera is equipped to handle at any given moment. Depending on your camera. The flash card can be no bigger than a quarter.. With copper or metal leads at one end which allow the card to connect to the camera's computer.. Yet the flash card also has a computer chip locate inside that storage the extra data.

The card size in MB (megabytes) or GB (gigabytes) would offer you a lot more storage than your camera already has to offer (internally).. I personally keep three different "SD" cards on hand.. For my different needs. Each card has limits and I have marked the limits accordingly. Granted the more memory you have will allow for "raw images" or a better images at a higher resolution.

Even though the card has a storage limit.. It has an unmarked speed limit.. And not many are aware of this option with cards. Granted the more expensive the card, the faster the image processing and storage capacity. (but not always true) Opening the side or bottom of the camera, there should be a "slot" open for the card. Insert the card and you may need to "depress" to lock it in place. If you haven't open the SD card/battery compartment.. Best do it soon.. You may already have an SD card installed and never knew it.

Cables & Upload Devices:

One must then check to see if one has all the cables necessary to power up or even recharge your battery and even transfer your images to an alternate storage device.. Like computer, printers or an online storage site like: Photobucket, Flickr, Kodak Gallery and my personal favorite Picnik.com In all cases one must create an account in order to store images with these services. But is not necessary as with Picnik to edit just a few images at one time.

Not only does the cables allow you to upload, or recharge your camera, Devices like a "Flash Reader" is a small handheld device that allows one to connect the camera or insert the flash card into the readers housing. This can also allow for image transfer and doesn't required an alternate power source or use the power from you camera.

One other good thing to have (if you're on the road) and you decide to take images as your on vacation and assuming the hotel you stay in have an internet connection.. Buy an inexpensive "flash disk" or "flash card reader" this will allow you to remove the SD flash card.. Insert the SD card into the reader and then locate a computers USB port and upload images while on your trip (login to your account from that computer is required) allowing for a quicker upload.

Using Your Camera:

Once you start taking images.. Just keep in mind that the window maybe a bit small.. And wait for the "beep" when the camera is set to auto focus.. The beep indicates that something within the camera field of view is in focus and the image can be taken. But do not limit yourself to just one image.. If your hands are not steady (as with mine) rest the camera on something and set the timer.

I didn't read if your camera came with something new called "Image Stabilization" which after you take the image.. The camera adjusted the images to appear more crisp and clear. A great option in my case. Because most of us are getting older and our eyes are not as they use to be we tend to hold the camera away from our body in an attempt to focus on the small window. For us to see what we are taking a picture. In this case we neglect to move back a few steps and thus the image isn't clear or out of focus.

Seems the main issue we all fact it finding the focal plain. This is an area where the subject matter is in range of the camera, yet is within the camera focusing ability. One should never cross that plain.. And try to get closer to the subject matter..

Film Ver. SD Storage:

With the development of these new technologies.. Slowly we have eliminated the need for film or the development of film. In Sept 2009, Kodak is going to discontinue producing the Kodachrome film.. So if you haven't bought a digital camera.. Best do it soon.. The film aspect will now be lift for those who can pay a high price in order to obtain it.

Though I personally would prefer to take pictures via a 35mm format over the Digital format.. The only draw back I found with taking film images over Digital images.. Is the cost of developing film. With these new digital cameras, It far easier to take the image, have it stored on your SD card or upload the images to an alternative storage device.
The new discussion dealing with SD cards is that they are speed ratings and selecting the right speed rating for your camera is important. It's been brought to my attention that many of these flash of SD cards are being faked. Making sure you actually have the correct SD or flash card is just the first step. The actually SanDisk site has a listed of fake SD card one should follow.

Illuminating Your Subject:

More light can be a good thing.. Yet to much light.. Can blind the camera. Typically I would prefer to use natural light over any other source. Yet these last few weeks I have found that the "white" bulbs have been offering a richer and more colorful images. Once in a while I'll return to my roots and use natural light, But indirect or direct sunlight can washout the image, thus If one creates a "filter" or "defuser" to break up the light can benefit the subject matter.

A simply way to accomplish this is with a coat hanger and a plastic bag or tissue paper. The plastic bag will allow more of the natural light in but defuse the sun's harsh rays.. While the Tissue paper will disperse the light source and illuminate the whole area. Most photographers use the "tissue paper" techniques over any other lighting source.

More Batteries Needed:

Depending on how often you'll be out on the road taking images, you may need a few back up batteries. Later you may need a wall mount battery charger depending on how often your need to charge the battery.. So far, one battery has worked very well for me and my adventures.. Yet I still carry a small camera bag with contains all the items I've covered above.. Cables, Battery charger, extra SD cards, even a camera to Tv connector, Which allows me to view the days images on a larger screen.. And edit or delete unwanted images.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good tips, but wouldn't that be more like: "Determining Your Storage Device"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread