Nikon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 For Macro Pics

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently bought Nikon camera and was looking for a good macro lens. I had basically decided that I was going to spend 6-$800 for a good one. Then I remembered my pro photographer buddy had shot my tree coin for a magazine article that I wrote. The pics were great so I called him to ask what he used. Turns out it was one of his old Nikon lenses that he loves. He found one at B&H for $170 and I ordered it today. Anybody have any experience with this lens? Here's a couple of the pics he took with it
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Yehuwdiy

Jan 6, 2016
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Nugget Snoop Pro, Garret Euroace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, yes and it is a good lens! I have a substantial vintage Nikon collection (been collecting for 20 years now) and up until recently was using full-manual gear on digital bodies for all macro work.

Almost any lens will work fine as a macro if you buy a set of extension tubes. I have been using the same PK-13 for 20+ years :) Of course, unless you have a 'professional' grade body (e.g. D300, D700 etc.) all exposures will be manual. I'm assuming that you're using a digital body though so that's not an issue. So extension tube and whatever lens you want is a good combination and a cheap alternative to a dedicated macro lens. Makes your camera bag lighter as well!

Really, the only things you get with dedicated macro lenses are:
a) metering, and
b) working distance.

If you're photographing coins then neither of these things is important. If you're photographing moving bugs though you may feel differently.

I now shoot a Tokina 100mm f/2.8, it's build, image quality and ease of use are all out of this world. Unlike a lot of macro lenses it's a darn good prime as well.

If you've not found Ken Rockwell yet, read his site. Here is what he says about your lens:

Nikon 28-105mm

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Camera is a big part but the subject makes to pic Nice coin