Sprites (upper atmosphere phenomena above lightning)

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sprites occur high above some strong lightning strikes. They are a brief, faint and fleeting phenomena. Sprites fascinate me and I have had it on my bucket list to capture one with my camera for some time. Finally last night I managed to capture a few sprites with my camera. I thought I would share for those who enjoy treasures of the night sky. :)

Sprite-2016-08-29-Img_0149C1SSS.jpg

Sprite-2016-08-29-Img_0222C1SSS.jpg

Sprite-2016-08-29-Img_9903C1SSS.jpg

Happy hunting,
Eric

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's cool!! Did you take snapshots or did you take video, then single out a few frames?

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it VERY interesting that there are NO other cloud formations in those images.
To me,,, that would suggest that the "sprites" are another manifestation of "electricity".
Some of them are very beautiful.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sprites I know about are female spiritual beings that lure men

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Northern lights......seen them many times in many colors

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool!! Did you take snapshots or did you take video, then single out a few frames?

Thanks! I used my interval timer to take 6 second exposures over and over. It took many hours of attempts over many thunderstorms before I finally caught some with this storm.

I find it VERY interesting that there are NO other cloud formations in those images.
To me,,, that would suggest that the "sprites" are another manifestation of "electricity".
Some of them are very beautiful.

Sprites sure are fascinating and mysterious. They occur very high up above thunderstorms in the upper atmosphere. The storm was over about 60 miles away and my woods were blocking the storm itself in most of my frames. People have recorded sprites from storms that are hundreds of miles away.

The sprites I know about are female spiritual beings that lure men

I'll have what you're having. :hello:

Northern lights......seen them many times in many colors

If you are saying these are Northern lights you are not correct. Aurora does not usually occur as a fleeting flash that would show on one exposure but not show on the frame right before it and also not show on the frame right after it. If you search for some other pictures of red sprites you will see they often have this look. Aurora occurs in a similar height of the atmosphere as sprites do and I can see where you could see the similarity. These are Northern lights: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/photography-images/502350-aurora-last-saturday-night.html

Thanks everyone!
Happy hunting,
Eric

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing those I love stuff like that great shots

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool! It's really remarkable that you were able to capture sprites. Great job! Very clever to focus on over the horizon T-storms. You would never see them on a closer storm. It also helps to have a dark and pollution free night sky. Very nice. I'm impressed.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! It's really remarkable that you were able to capture sprites. Great job! Very clever to focus on over the horizon T-storms. You would never see them on a closer storm. It also helps to have a dark and pollution free night sky. Very nice. I'm impressed.
Thanks! I generally target moments when I can see flashes of distant lightning in a direction that is not obstructed by clouds. It really does help to have a dark sky. Having a decent sky was something I looked for when finding a house because of my interest in Astronomy and astrophotography.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread