Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Wrightdigger
  • 1 Post By hvacker
  • 1 Post By DizzyDigger
  • 1 Post By Wrightdigger
  • 1 Post By boogeyman
  • 1 Post By Davers
  • 1 Post By boogeyman
  • 1 Post By trdking
  • 1 Post By Wrightdigger

Thread: Need help, please.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member

Jun 2017
    28978 times

Need help, please.

Hello,

I am working on a project that isnít going well. I got a new laptop with Windows 10. I downloaded pics from camera to laptop and then started editing and saving to a different file. Some of them donít show a thumbnail image and when I hold the mouse over it, in the information it says ďerror.Ē Generally, these are around 5MB. Could this be because the file is too large? If I click on the thumbnail, the pic does come up on the screen.
    I also have to download pics from emails. The end game is to put all of these pics to SD cards and give them to friends with a digital picture frame. Is there an optimal size for the pics I should use to do that?

Thanks in advance!

~Sis
    (or WD or Wrightdigger, whatever you want to call me. Just donít call me late to supper. LOL!)
    Davers likes this.

I admit my level of weirdness is above the national average, but I am comfortable with that.

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    1668 times
    Prospecting
    How are you saving the files. JPEG should open. What edit program are you using?
    5MB isn't very big.
    I have no information on SD cards. You can probably find it on line. I only print.
    Wrightdigger likes this.
    Chop wood..Carry water

Charter Member

Jun 2017
    28978 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    How are you saving the files. JPEG should open. What edit program are you using?
    5MB isn't very big.
    I have no information on SD cards. You can probably find it on line. I only print.
    They are saved as jpeg.
    I am using PhotoScape X

I did find online how to save them, but nothing about size.

I admit my level of weirdness is above the national average, but I am comfortable with that.

Charter Member

Jun 2017
    28978 times
    OK. I got it figured out. Thanks for helping!

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5643 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrightdigger View Post
    Hello,

I am working on a project that isn’t going well. I got a new laptop with Windows 10. I downloaded pics from camera to laptop and then started editing and saving to a different file. Some of them don’t show a thumbnail image and when I hold the mouse over it, in the information it says “error.” Generally, these are around 5MB. Could this be because the file is too large? If I click on the thumbnail, the pic does come up on the screen.
    I also have to download pics from emails. The end game is to put all of these pics to SD cards and give them to friends with a digital picture frame. Is there an optimal size for the pics I should use to do that?

Thanks in advance!

~Sis
    (or WD or Wrightdigger, whatever you want to call me. Just don’t call me late to supper. LOL!)

Howdy Sis!

When I download pics from one of my cameras, I generally start off by
    opening a new folder on the desktop, and that is where I direct the
    downloaded images.

When you hook up your camera via a usb cable, and then turn
    the camera on, it brings up a screen asking what you want to
    do with the image files. I choose "save to file", and then you
    get another screen where you can designate what file they are
    to be downloaded into.

5MB is a small file, as Hacker suggested. You can edit the
    thumbnail size options under the "View" tab in the folder
    holding the images.

Optimal image size I use is 1000 pixels on the longest edge
    of the pic, which is more than sufficient for viewing on any
    digital device or screen. You can easily reduce the image sizes
    in the Paint program.
    Wrightdigger likes this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Charter Member

Jun 2017
    28978 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDigger View Post
    Howdy Sis!

When I download pics from one of my cameras, I generally start off by
    opening a new folder on the desktop, and that is where I direct the
    downloaded images.

When you hook up your camera via a usb cable, and then turn
    the camera on, it brings up a screen asking what you want to
    do with the image files. I choose "save to file", and then you
    get another screen where you can designate what file they are
    to be downloaded into.

5MB is a small file, as Hacker suggested. You can edit the
    thumbnail size options under the "View" tab in the folder
    holding the images.

Optimal image size I use is 1000 pixels on the longest edge
    of the pic, which is more than sufficient for viewing on any
    digital device or screen. You can easily reduce the image sizes
    in the Paint program.

Hey, Mike!

I got to work on it this morning. The problem is partially operator error, I am sure. It's a new laptop. When I started this project, I did exactly as you said, designating it to it's own file. The computer is "rigged" with this cloud storage program, and it automatically saved it there, not in my pictures. Actually, I guess you could say it is saving it in both. Until the "cloud" program reached it's limit, then I started having issues. Of course it is set up so that I would purchase more. I didn't. So that's where I got the idea that maybe they were too big.

This morning, I opened the PhotoScape X and was able to save everything I have so far straight to an SD card. It took seconds, as I thought it should in the first place. Later this evening, I will test the card in a digital picture frame to see if the sizes are ok. If I need to enlarge them, I will. I am maybe 50% done and I have only used less than 5 GB on the 16GB card, so there's plenty room for growth.

Thanks for the help!

~Sis
    Last edited by Wrightdigger; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:28 PM.
    DizzyDigger likes this.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2682 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Old school as all get out here. Download your photos from the camera into a folder. Burn your folder to a CD or DVD for filing. Been doing this for 20 plus years, haven't lost one yet and don't have to worry about Google or MS losing my stuff or privacy issues. I'm using Photo Shop Pro also ancient version. In 20 plus years haven't found a need to upgrade. It does everything you'll need and once you get used to it it's fast for sorting tons of pics, looking at them in B&W or iverted (negative). If you have a negative scanner you can invert negs to positive in large batches with one click in PS. For most of us we don't need all the bells & whistles & probably won't use 90% of them.
    Wrightdigger likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Old Tom Cat.

Jan 2013
    N.of , I-285...GA
    Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
    5890 times
    Hello,

I am working on a project that isn’t going well. I got a new laptop with Windows 10. I downloaded pics from camera to laptop and then started editing and saving to a different file. Some of them don’t show a thumbnail image and when I hold the mouse over it, in the information it says “error.” Generally, these are around 5MB. Could this be because the file is too large? If I click on the thumbnail, the pic does come up on the screen.

Thanks in advance!

~Sis
    (or WD or Wrightdigger, whatever you want to call me. Just don’t call me late to supper. LOL!)
    Sorry 'Sis'.
    I truly wish that I had the education to help you.
    GL & Best Wishes
    Wrightdigger likes this.
    As I am finding , In life we begin having the Blissful happiness & the Wonder & innocence of a Child, then fall Quickly, then spend the rest of our lives trying to reach that point where we began ,through Pleasure , Fame, & Materials but Only 'Through true faith in Jesus , can we find Prefect Happiness or true Meaning in our Short lives on this Beautiful Earth filled with both the Light of Pure goodness & The Darkness of Pure Evil. D.

That Said, I judge No Man.
    Davers

Charter Member

Jun 2017
    28978 times
    Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman View Post
    Old school as all get out here. Download your photos from the camera into a folder. Burn your folder to a CD or DVD for filing. Been doing this for 20 plus years, haven't lost one yet and don't have to worry about Google or MS losing my stuff or privacy issues. I'm using Photo Shop Pro also ancient version. In 20 plus years haven't found a need to upgrade. It does everything you'll need and once you get used to it it's fast for sorting tons of pics, looking at them in B&W or iverted (negative). If you have a negative scanner you can invert negs to positive in large batches with one click in PS. For most of us we don't need all the bells & whistles & probably won't use 90% of them.
    LOL! The goal here is to give 4 of our friends a gift of a digital picture frame and an SD Card with our trip pics that we all took. I can't do it the old school way. Those digital pic frames take SD cards. So, now I am getting all techy. But, FYI, I never learned how to burn them to a CD either. I guess I skipped a few steps.

Charter Member

Jun 2017
    28978 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Davers View Post
    Sorry 'Sis'.
    I truly wish that I had the education to help you.
    GL & Best Wishes

LOL! Davey! I still am waiting to see pics on My Daily Snapshot from you that you said you had.

I know you would help, if you could.

Hope all is well with you & yours!

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2682 times
    LOL! The goal here is to give 4 of our friends a gift of a digital picture frame and an SD Card with our trip pics that we all took. I can't do it the old school way. Those digital pic frames take SD cards. So, now I am getting all techy. But, FYI, I never learned how to burn them to a CD either. I guess I skipped a few steps.
    Not that hard! You're making too much of it. Make a folder with the pictures in it. Now plug the SD card in to the computer if it's brand new you may need to format it. Open the folder then open the SD card in another window now highlight the pics in the folder and drag them to the SD card window. When you're done click to eject the SD card. Repeat this process for as many cards as you want. Not that hard just seems intimidating. If this doesn't help you much, google "burning files to a SD card. You should be able to fid instructions with pictures. Print the instructions. After you do it a couple times it's simple just drag and drop.
    Wrightdigger likes this.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Charter Member
    us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    Fullerton CA
    Minelab CTX 3030 AT Pro
    5523 times
    Time to get a new camera to keep up with the laptop. All electronics are designed to void the old against the new. Designed obsolescence
    Wrightdigger likes this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

Charter Member

Jun 2017
    28978 times
    Got it all done! And as soon as I was satisfied with the project, I uninstalled that OneDrive Cloud storage program that came with the laptop. Now everything is working easy peasy. Thanks for all the help, everyone!
    Chadeaux likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links