Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello,

I am working on a project that isn’t going well. I got a new laptop with Windows 10. I downloaded pics from camera to laptop and then started editing and saving to a different file. Some of them don’t show a thumbnail image and when I hold the mouse over it, in the information it says “error.” Generally, these are around 5MB. Could this be because the file is too large? If I click on the thumbnail, the pic does come up on the screen.
I also have to download pics from emails. The end game is to put all of these pics to SD cards and give them to friends with a digital picture frame. Is there an optimal size for the pics I should use to do that?

Thanks in advance!

~Sis
(or WD or Wrightdigger, whatever you want to call me. Just don’t call me late to supper. LOL!)

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
How are you saving the files. JPEG should open. What edit program are you using?
5MB isn't very big.
I have no information on SD cards. You can probably find it on line. I only print.

OP
OP
WannaDig3687

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
How are you saving the files. JPEG should open. What edit program are you using?
5MB isn't very big.
I have no information on SD cards. You can probably find it on line. I only print.

They are saved as jpeg.
I am using PhotoScape X

I did find online how to save them, but nothing about size.

OP
OP
WannaDig3687

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
OK. I got it figured out. Thanks for helping!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello,

I am working on a project that isn’t going well. I got a new laptop with Windows 10. I downloaded pics from camera to laptop and then started editing and saving to a different file. Some of them don’t show a thumbnail image and when I hold the mouse over it, in the information it says “error.” Generally, these are around 5MB. Could this be because the file is too large? If I click on the thumbnail, the pic does come up on the screen.
I also have to download pics from emails. The end game is to put all of these pics to SD cards and give them to friends with a digital picture frame. Is there an optimal size for the pics I should use to do that?

Thanks in advance!

~Sis
(or WD or Wrightdigger, whatever you want to call me. Just don’t call me late to supper. LOL!)

Howdy Sis!

When I download pics from one of my cameras, I generally start off by
opening a new folder on the desktop, and that is where I direct the
downloaded images.

When you hook up your camera via a usb cable, and then turn
the camera on, it brings up a screen asking what you want to
do with the image files. I choose "save to file", and then you
get another screen where you can designate what file they are
to be downloaded into.

5MB is a small file, as Hacker suggested. You can edit the
thumbnail size options under the "View" tab in the folder
holding the images.

Optimal image size I use is 1000 pixels on the longest edge
of the pic, which is more than sufficient for viewing on any
digital device or screen. You can easily reduce the image sizes
in the Paint program.

OP
OP
WannaDig3687

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Howdy Sis!

When I download pics from one of my cameras, I generally start off by
opening a new folder on the desktop, and that is where I direct the
downloaded images.

When you hook up your camera via a usb cable, and then turn
the camera on, it brings up a screen asking what you want to
do with the image files. I choose "save to file", and then you
get another screen where you can designate what file they are
to be downloaded into.

5MB is a small file, as Hacker suggested. You can edit the
thumbnail size options under the "View" tab in the folder
holding the images.

Optimal image size I use is 1000 pixels on the longest edge
of the pic, which is more than sufficient for viewing on any
digital device or screen. You can easily reduce the image sizes
in the Paint program.

Hey, Mike!

I got to work on it this morning. The problem is partially operator error, I am sure. :tongue3: It's a new laptop. When I started this project, I did exactly as you said, designating it to it's own file. The computer is "rigged" with this cloud storage program, and it automatically saved it there, not in my pictures. Actually, I guess you could say it is saving it in both. Until the "cloud" program reached it's limit, then I started having issues. Of course it is set up so that I would purchase more. :BangHead: I didn't. So that's where I got the idea that maybe they were too big.

This morning, I opened the PhotoScape X and was able to save everything I have so far straight to an SD card. It took seconds, as I thought it should in the first place. Later this evening, I will test the card in a digital picture frame to see if the sizes are ok. If I need to enlarge them, I will. I am maybe 50% done and I have only used less than 5 GB on the 16GB card, so there's plenty room for growth.

Thanks for the help!

~Sis

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old school as all get out here. Download your photos from the camera into a folder. Burn your folder to a CD or DVD for filing. Been doing this for 20 plus years, haven't lost one yet and don't have to worry about Google or MS losing my stuff or privacy issues. I'm using Photo Shop Pro also ancient version. In 20 plus years haven't found a need to upgrade. It does everything you'll need and once you get used to it it's fast for sorting tons of pics, looking at them in B&W or iverted (negative). If you have a negative scanner you can invert negs to positive in large batches with one click in PS. For most of us we don't need all the bells & whistles & probably won't use 90% of them.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Thanks in advance!

~Sis

Sorry 'Sis'.
I truly wish that I had the education to help you.
GL & Best Wishes

OP
OP
WannaDig3687

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Old school as all get out here. Download your photos from the camera into a folder. Burn your folder to a CD or DVD for filing. Been doing this for 20 plus years, haven't lost one yet and don't have to worry about Google or MS losing my stuff or privacy issues. I'm using Photo Shop Pro also ancient version. In 20 plus years haven't found a need to upgrade. It does everything you'll need and once you get used to it it's fast for sorting tons of pics, looking at them in B&W or iverted (negative). If you have a negative scanner you can invert negs to positive in large batches with one click in PS. For most of us we don't need all the bells & whistles & probably won't use 90% of them.

LOL! The goal here is to give 4 of our friends a gift of a digital picture frame and an SD Card with our trip pics that we all took. I can't do it the old school way. Those digital pic frames take SD cards. So, now I am getting all techy. But, FYI, I never learned how to burn them to a CD either. :laughing9: I guess I skipped a few steps.

OP
OP
WannaDig3687

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry 'Sis'.
I truly wish that I had the education to help you.
GL & Best Wishes

LOL! Davey! I still am waiting to see pics on My Daily Snapshot from you that you said you had.

I know you would help, if you could.

Hope all is well with you & yours!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! The goal here is to give 4 of our friends a gift of a digital picture frame and an SD Card with our trip pics that we all took. I can't do it the old school way. Those digital pic frames take SD cards. So, now I am getting all techy. But, FYI, I never learned how to burn them to a CD either. :laughing9: I guess I skipped a few steps.

Not that hard! You're making too much of it. Make a folder with the pictures in it. Now plug the SD card in to the computer if it's brand new you may need to format it. Open the folder then open the SD card in another window now highlight the pics in the folder and drag them to the SD card window. When you're done click to eject the SD card. Repeat this process for as many cards as you want. Not that hard just seems intimidating. If this doesn't help you much, google "burning files to a SD card. You should be able to fid instructions with pictures. Print the instructions. After you do it a couple times it's simple just drag and drop.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time to get a new camera to keep up with the laptop. All electronics are designed to void the old against the new. Designed obsolescence

OP
OP
WannaDig3687

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Got it all done! And as soon as I was satisfied with the project, I uninstalled that OneDrive Cloud storage program that came with the laptop. Now everything is working easy peasy. Thanks for all the help, everyone! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread