What is the best editing program if price was no option?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im seeing pay tp playt options for a monthly service fee online. I am not interested in that. I am looking for a stand alone program I can download on my laptop for editing in the field. I do not always have cell service and dont wish to rack up data fees on my cell anyway. What is folks using. I am still learning the Cannon t7i recently purchased and need to adjust, crop and make corrections with the large files it is putting out. Doing what I can with camera to reduce the work.

What is your druthers and what do you use if your up to sharing.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adobe CS5Pro. You rent it by the month, for a year at a time. I did 7 professional films with it.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Affinity Photo --- very good software, integration with their Designer and Publisher program is outstanding.

3.2YellowLilly2.jpg

Haven't run into anything that photoshop does that this won't do as well or better --- except at $49 to purchase the photo editor, you don't have to cough up an extra $20 or so each month.

The have a free demo, try it you'll like it . . . especially if you're already familiar with photoshop or corel's paint shop pro.

http://affinity.serif.com

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually the favorite is the one you've taken the time to learn. I started seriously with Photoshop Elements early on. The full version is a bit too loaded for my use. I also have Corel Paintshop Pro but really haven't used it enough to value it.
For just basic editing there are a bunch out there. One free one that comes up often is GIMP.
The most valuable skill to learn is Layers. Editing's best tool.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Usually the favorite is the one you've taken the time to learn. I started seriously with Photoshop Elements early on. The full version is a bit too loaded for my use. I also have Corel Paintshop Pro but really haven't used it enough to value it.
For just basic editing there are a bunch out there. One free one that comes up often is GIMP.
The most valuable skill to learn is Layers. Editing's best tool.

Very accurate. I started with Photoshop back in the early 2000's. Tried Ability photo, Serif's photoplus ... but Paintshop pro gave me more of what I was looking for in licensing. When Paintshop changed their licensing, they lost this long time customer who had solved some of their software issues with tablets and given it to them.

Affinity came along and it's the best for me.

Workflow is more important than the program. All of the aforementioned have similar workflows, but Gimp throws a monkey wrench into everything I do so I never got the hang of it.

OP
OP
Rawhide

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Signed up for Adobe, little bit of a learning curve. Not sure what the difference is in some apps.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Gimp is free. It is different. A few years ago, a high school instructor in Australia started his class off, half on Adobe and half on free Gimp. At the halfway point of the semester, he told them to swap to the other one. Both groups screamed equally loudly at the different approaches.

Gimp has extensive on-line tutor pages for almost any need. Some folks really trash Gimp and say how much more things you can do with Adobe. There have been professionals who say they work at graphics shops and use both. And, they say the list of things that Gimp doesn't do are things that very few people actually ever use.

I don't care. For me, price was totally relevant. I have done personal editing. A cousin's wife has those spots on her face. No one ever notices them in real life because she is such a happy, bubbly person that you don't notice things like face spots. But, she has a real hang-up when she sees them in photos. So, she won't let anyone but me take her photos, because every print I carefully touch up the spots.

I also did work for the local cultural director in my little Third World Mexican mountain village. She had a lot of photos in very bad condition. I touched them up for her. One photo was of the village before 1908, it looked like if had been lost on the tollway for a few hours. I worked on it all day, 12 hours, and it looked great. She was totally shocked I could do that, and it was free for her.

Last edited:

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use corel Paintshop pro. It's super easy with a quick video tutorial, and you'll get used to it in no time.

DSC_0630.jpg

I froze to death for this pic btw.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pretty sure that it would be Photo Shop Pro, and Illustrator.

I still use paint, and Photo Impressions 4.
Because I just do simple photo editing.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It all depends on what you want to do with the image.

If you're looking for a program for processing many digital images,
then I would suggest Adobe Lightroom.

For more extensive editing, Photoshop does have a load of tools,
however I found it very complex and cumbersome. As a photographer,
there were days I needed to process over a hundred individual images.
In Lightroom, I could make the needed adjustments to one image, and
they apply those same changes to every pic in the set.

With Adobe Elements 10 and Lightroom 4.?, I can do just about do anything
an image might need, and without dealing with the complexities of Photoshop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread