Peering Into The Past --- Ain't dere no more!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I like merging old images with new ones, colorizing old images, etc. Really love history and historic sites, especially those in old New Orleans.

This is the old Southern Railway Terminal in New Orleans . . . or I should say, that USED to be in New Orleans. Back in 1954 they closed the building and in 1958 (when I was less than 1 year old) they completed its demolition and had completely cleared the land.

Needless to say, the modern boxes that pass for commercial buildings today had none of the style or flair the old buildings did. So, what I did was found an image of the terminal that I liked and was of fair quality. Then I went to Google Earth and grabbed a picture taken from as close to the angles of the original image as possible.

I then merged the images, leaving anything that would have been in front of the building if it were still there . . . well there. This image is from the corner of Canal Street and Basin Street. I left the folks in the old photo in black and white but colored the building including the glass to look as close as possible to its still being there.

Black & White pic of terminal:

terminal_bw.jpg

Recent Google Earth pic of area:
today_googleEarth.jpg

What it might look like if the old terminal had been rescued instead of demolished:

back_in_time.jpg

If you look closely, you'll notice that the arched window in the building on the left is partly from the new and partly from the old pic. That's how close the images matched up. Back then Basin Street (crosswalk on right is on Basin Street) was about wide enough for you to get a carriage around a parked carriage . . . or a 2 carriage wide street.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The last train leaving the station. Demolition has already started (Notice the old truck and trailer)

last train leaving station.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really cool to merge those great skill I bet you can make some great pics. Thanks for sharing that

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool! Really nice work. Hate to see old buildings go.
What photo editing software do you use?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Danged Chadeaux old friend, you disappeared for years from TNet. Glad to have you back :)

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Danged Chadeaux old friend, you disappeared for years from TNet. Glad to have you back :)

Hi Deep! I been back since 2015, just came to my senses after my heart attack and open heart surgery in 2015.

Stick to milder stuff . . . NO polyticks period.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread