Advice Needed On Digital Camera Purchase And Photography Setup To Sell Items On Ebay

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
I've sold a few things on eBay in the past and would like to sell a lot more things in the future. I currently am using an older Iphone to take photos of my items, which leaves a lot to be desired of my photographs. I often get shadows and lack of details on many of my items, especially on smaller coin-size items which require macro level clarity and detail. Can someone suggest a good lower end digital camera ($300 or under) to use for eBay photos? Also, I would like some advice or suggestions on lighting and backdrops for my photos. I find natural light to be best, but that often creates shadows. I would like to create an entry level photo studio with a backdrop and some kind of lighting method to prevent shadows and distortion of the actual color of items. The items I will be selling are as small as coins, to larger things like military uniform jackets, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on what items I need to buy or how to create a good setup?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
DSLR camera with extension tubes (for macro shots), and a lightbox with lighting.

A simple lightbox you can build found is found here:

Less than $100.00 for everything. A commercial one is too tiny for many of the items one might sell and costs HUNDREDS of dollars.

You can buy a good set of photography lights for between $40 and $100 at amazon, or you can try a Neewer 18" ring light.

I prefer the box shown above (built a variation for my setup) along with 2 or 3 studio lights without the diffusing covers.

A good speedlight (Godox tt350 is a "good" one) with a remote fire for your camera's hotshoe is also helpful.

Should have elevated above the surface. Shadows are undesireable, and the green cast comes from the jewelry being too close to the surface.
IMG_2895_2400.jpg

Better to elevate subject on a piece of glass like this one. (The blue cast is from the glass, but the customer liked it

IMG_2802_2400.jpg

Above all, you will need a good photo editing program and patience.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chadeaux knows his stuffs!
Good to see you, too Chadeaux, hope all is well with you and yours!

I made my own lightbox outta poster board and a box(with large window cutouts).
I used to get real great micro shots, by holding a cheap Cracker Jack magnifier,
over the shutter window. It was amazing the details that came in, with that cheap magnifier.
Some magnifiers worked better than others.

blueear1.jpg bluering1.jpg

Those were with a Kodak Easy Share and Cracker Jack magnifier.... :laughing7:
I'm so old school, though, I'm practically a dinosaur.
My learning curve for new tech, would challenge Jobs' patience...
Good luck MC in your endeavors!

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi Pat, long time no see! Hope the world has been treating you well. Take care of yourself!

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The items i have photographed to sell on Ebay i use a "Green Felt" tight weave material. I don't know what it is but the photo's just pop. Give it a try let me know what you think.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good crop can overcome a lot of bad shots. Use white or black drop cloth under items. Most lower end digitals will be much better than phone cameras. A tripod isn't necessary unless you can't hold your breath while taking photos to steady the camera. Watch a few basic Photoshop on YouTube. Or become familiar with what ever program for fixing photos that came with your computer.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're serious about using the tripod, lightbox, etc, I would
encourage you to look into a quality, used DSLR. There are
many first rate, used DSLR's available for under $300.

For instance, a Nikon D90, including the 18-55mm standard
lens, is a first rate camera for the job you want to do, and you
should have no problem finding a good one for under your $300
limit. That lens should be quite suitable for the shots you'll be taking.

When it comes to a quality camera, it's not all about megapixels.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a portable photo studio from Amazon and use it regularly.
Here are some photos taken with it.
IMG_5394.jpeg IMG_5395.jpeg IMG_5320.jpeg IMG_4923.jpeg

The digital camera I use is probably 12 years old - it's a beater Canon. Pics are adjusted using the Photo editing feature that comes with an iMac.

I sold the book represented in the first two pictures today for $2400, so it's good enough.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread