How A Sleeping Duck Helped Me With Blend-If
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chadeaux

Thread: How A Sleeping Duck Helped Me With Blend-If

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Tribal Member of United Houma Nation -

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    6253 times
    Cache Hunting

How A Sleeping Duck Helped Me With Blend-If

I was working getting an entry for this month's challenge at the Photogenius facebook group, when I came up with an idea. While going through some old pics from my Canon 300D, I had the idea to mix one of the images with a picture of the moon . . . making the moon appear to be underwater. Granted, my astral photography isn't all that great, but I had several workable images so I set out to make it happen.

In Affinity Photo I created a stack of two images, my sleeping duck and my moon picture. Tried it with the moon on top, not going to get close. Placed the moon under the duck image, picked "soft light" blend mode and got some benefit, but not quite right.

I tried different blend modes, and some were okay, but I could never get it just like I wanted. Then I decided to give "blend-if" a try - in conjunction with several different blend modes. It took some time finding the exact ranges to adjust but I was able to eventually work it out, and the "overlay" blend mode worked best. The result was what I was looking for.

"Blend if" allows you to pretty much "mix" what colors come through based on their luminosity.

Here's the result:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRW_3074.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	1885585
    Last edited by Chadeaux; Dec 12, 2020 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Had uploaded wrong version of image.
    Ryano and Lafitte Deux like this.
    "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have anymore reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. . . . Whatever you hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge or wisdom in the Grave, where you are going." -- Ecclesiastes 9:5 & 10

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links