Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the Garrett "Carrot" is the best. Garrett Carrot.PNG

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I am sort of new at detecting. I used to detect with my grandfather all the time when he was alive but I have not detected for the past 8 years. I currently have a bounty hunter quick draw II and am looking to get a Pinpointer to help be more precise. Anyone have any suggestions on what I should get.

Hey You get to be the first to use the New Pinpointer Forum :laughing7:

Garrett & deteknix are the only 2 I've tried.
Both are good Garrett is simpler. only an off & on button.

Deteknix has 2.
one on & off, and one for tuning

Last edited:

N5XTR

Mar 5, 2016
SW Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
MX Sport
Land Ranger Pro
ProPointerAT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are some inexpensive pinpointers available. They do not work as well as the ones listed above but they do work.

Centech from Harbor Freight Tools @ $18
Metal Detector

Bounty Hunter Pinpointer @ $38 (I have this one, it does help)
Amazon.com: Pinpointer: Patio, Lawn & Garden

There are more but most are copies of the BH pointer. If you are on a tight budget these fit the bill. Watch out when ordering at least the Garrett Pro-pointer as there are fakes online being sold. My next is going to be the Garrett Pro-Pointer II.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up the Nokta pinpointer from Dennis at Metaldetectors.com. Great guy to talk to. Easy going and informative and did not push one brand over another.
I have not used it in the field yet but so far i like the features i comes with. I think the adjustable sensitivity and protective sleeves are a big plus.[/SIZE

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the makro waterproof pointer

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If you buy the lowest price, you will get the lowest preforming pinpointer.

Pick a quality pinpointer, there are lot's of reviews out there.

Get one that suits your type of hunting- and watch out for the cheesy internet sites, there are lot's of knock-off Chinese units floating around.

The sponsors on TN will give you a great deal, and a quality product.

Best of luck.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pinpointer should be up to and equal in importance as your main machine!
Sounds like you are getting into the hobby again, so I'd recommend Nokta Pointer.
I have one, used it intensively for a couple of months now, like it a lot!
Priced to be competitive with the Garrett "Carrot", which is a water-proof unit as well.
Where you live, you might be into occasional gold prospecting, and creeks/rivers
tend to get wet! On the edge of a melting snowbank? No problems! Muddy? Just rinse it off!
Worth the little extra money - it might be the only pointer you'll ever have to buy...!

Last edited:

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried my new White's TRX today for the first time... I like it! It pinpoints well and vibrates just enough to massage my palm. Not much more I could want. ^_^

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't buy one unless it was from an authorized dealer, as others have said too many fakes out there to risk 100+ dollars on but I use a cheap harbor freight unit , the thing is I learned to detect well before electronic pointers so I rarely need one but it helps enough for a seasoned detectorist to find tough targets and that's all I need for now.

Gazaman

Apr 13, 2016
Canuckistan
Detector(s) used
White, Fisher, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for something I can use both i) on land when I am looking at big boulder crevasses and ii) under water while dredging and sniping. Something that have good sensitivity would save me hours in digging out hard packed crevasses from boulders. I am contemplating a Garrett Carrot this season but am willing to pay for the improved detection if other products are available. Any help / advice would be appreciated.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both the Garrett "carrot" and the Whites TRX are rated waterproof to 10' deep. I believe the TRX is a bit more sensitive than the "carrot", but costs a few $ more.

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used both... get the Garrett!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread