Garrett "carrot" OR Whites TRX ?

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
pinenut, I have not used the TRX, but I have the carrot and the black Garrett as well.

I like the black Garrett very well. The button is big and easy to hit when wearing gloves.

The carrot is also good, but the button is a little smaller which bugs me a bit.

I do need one that is waterproof, so I am happy with the carrot for water use, and I also like the option to have just vibrate mode on.

Toothpick

Sep 9, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
XP-DEUS 2, MANTICORE, XP-DEUS 1, Equinox 800, Simplex, 1280x, Gold Bug 2, 12v Gator Gill Hookah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the black Garrett and recently bought the TRX.

There is no comparison for depth, and when the TRX is "too" powerful, I just detune with a touch of the button.

Also, I like that it detects straight off the tip like a flashlight beam.

Either one is a great tool to add to your belt.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both and prefer the whites. Sensing on the tip only helps to not scratch a coin.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my whites PP .
I have a Black Pro-pointer but it's still new in the Box.

Like that the whites uses 2 AA or a 9 v for power, Know that Whites will replace the Body For free (how long I dont Know).
It's very Sensitive (Chirps loud on 22 bullets & 177 cal pellets) when searching the dug dirt pile.

Don't know the specks on the Carrot but I suppose water proof is a plus. ----It is but I never PP underwater & the Whites is 'Weather Proof' in say heavy rain , I just tape up the speaker hole.

Also it went over a year on the same Energizer lithium (Blue pack) 9X , it was still running strong but I changed the batteries in Jan , JIC, & put then in a Remote.

I'm sure Both will serve you well.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone!

I like the idea of being able to use either 9v or AAA, and especially that it sounds as if the "pinpoint" is more of a directional beam on the TRX.

Whites, it is. ^_^

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Wayne at metaldetectingstuff is always responsive and involved with the members of TNet. I wouldn't hesitate to order from him.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which one? The Propointer AT is $127.45 shipped, TRX is $149 shipped . Either one sent priority mail . If you click the highlighted words above, it will take you to our page on the product.

Wayne

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have both and for sure the TRX is my fav. all though they are both great and cant go wrong with either one. Prefer the Whites as it goes deeper, like how it pinpoints at the tip so more of a ''pinpointer'', and with a push of the button it narrows the search and ratchets down on to the target. Also its beeps are more accurate in terms as how fast the beeps get until actually touching with a solid tone.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
Get the Carrot and use the ratchet down feature. IMO, the TRX is just too slow with that small flashlight, tip only beam.

Side detection is great with only a few pushes on the button to detune. The TRX detunes but without side detection, you waste lots of time getting the signal, AND once out of the hole...the Carrot rocks in a pile of dirt. The TRX doesn't.

I own both. Use both. Primarily the Carrot cuz it's faster.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Carrot and use the ratchet down feature. IMO, the TRX is just too slow with that small flashlight, tip only beam.

Side detection is great with only a few pushes on the button to detune. The TRX detunes but without side detection, you waste lots of time getting the signal, AND once out of the hole...the Carrot rocks in a pile of dirt. The TRX doesn't.

I own both. Use both. Primarily the Carrot cuz it's faster.

I want to know where it is not the area it's in. Just my 2 cents.

future

Apr 9, 2016
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Whites 6000 DI Pro, Whites GMT, Whites Surf PI Dual Field......want a Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally love my "vibraprobe" pinpointer. It is water proof to 100 feet, super rugged, and no controls. You turn it on by holding it upright for 2 seconds and you're ready to go. It turns itself off in 1 minute. Or you turn it off by holding it upright again & wait for the long vibration. There is 2 short vibrations for turning it on. It is a pulse induction probe and does not require any tuning or adjustments. It takes a 9 volt battery. Only draw back to it is it only pinpoints about 2.5" away and sometimes thats not far enough. By all means however, get one thats waterproof..........you WILL get it wet! And invariably, they roll down hill and water is always near.......lol hope this helps.....goldpaninut

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had nothing but problems with white's pinpointers. They have an excellent warranty program and replace the pinpointers rather quickly, but I'm moving to Garrett. I just sent in my TRX... it false's all the time and randomly turns on/off. This is now my 3rd time having to send in a pinpointer for repairs (2 of them were bullseyes).

It works great and I loved the ratcheting, but it's time for me to try something new.

OP
OP
pinenut

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had nothing but problems with white's pinpointers. They have an excellent warranty program and replace the pinpointers rather quickly, but I'm moving to Garrett. I just sent in my TRX... it false's all the time and randomly turns on/off. This is now my 3rd time having to send in a pinpointer for repairs (2 of them were bullseyes).

It works great and I loved the ratcheting, but it's time for me to try something new.

Interesting... Mine has been behaving, so far. I may just pick up the carrot for a back up. I'd absolutely hate to go back to the Harbor Freight pinpointer, after using the TRX!

kenonimo

Nov 25, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the Garrett carrot about 3 weeks ago and love it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions