Whites TRX Pinpointer accepts interference !

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
White's TRX Pinpointer accepts interference !

Bad news !

Here's a screenshot I just took from the White's TRX Pin-pointer manual. (Click to enlarge)

Notice the paragraph and the words "may not" in sentence (1) and the first sentence in (2).

Doesn't sound good to me !

Any comments viewers ?

ToddB64

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    121.1 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to just be a very poor explanation of interference the way it is written. Maybe it was scribed up by the MXS programmer s8-)

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bowwinkles,

I'll call White's to get an official answer on this issue.

Thanks for your opinion. :wink:

TodB64

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
White's TRX Pinpointer accepts interference !

This post #4 was a repetition (Basically a duplication) of my post #6, so I erased #4. Sorry if this causes you any confusion........just go to post #6 for my latest revision.

Thanks,

ToddB64

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did understand the message, I thought you were looking at how they worded that sentence. I felt they could have chosen better words to present their message.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bowwinkles (and any other future viewers),

Ok, I called White's 800 number and, after pressing 2 on my cellphone, was connected to one of their representatives, who interpreted what the paragraph in their TRX manual really means, and this eliminated my concerns.

Bottom line, the TRX Pin pointer is like many other top brands and models, in that these all except interference (electrical static) if subjected to certain circumstances like the example listed below.

Example:
Another metal detector, either pin pointer or full-size metal detector, is operating in close proximity, e.g. usually within a foot or two of where you are using your pin pointer, can cause what we refer to as "cross-talk" interference. Also, overhead power lines and transformers, or any other electrical equipment or devices, even a distance away, emitting a frequency powerful enough to reach your position. The source causing interference can be the same kHz or somewhat close to your pin pointer's operating frequency, according to the White's representative I spoke with.

The remedies I use when getting ready to use my pin-pointer are to lay my full-size metal detector on the ground with the coil behind me or away from the target location about 3-feet in any direction. This normally always solves the "cross-talk" issue. For more serious interference sources (e.g. overhead power lines, transformers, etc..) if the target seems worth digging, I deal with the interference issue until target recovery has been accomplished and then move to a new location more remote from the interference source. These are my remedies and I'm sure some viewers have others.

Thanks for your reply(s). ;D

ToddB64

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it's a federal thing what ever group that's in charge of that and metal detectors also have to except some interference, that's why EMI is a problem so much I'm sure. Most likely almost anything is going to effect us more that we ever would it, my biggest problem has been with those invisible fences. HH

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure, the purpose of this thread...but my TRX is super! So glad I bought one, and it has never given me any trouble.
^_^

stevei48

Oct 3, 2015
Mckeesport Pa.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter land ranger pro
vibra probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part 15 covers most electronic equipment. A lot of Chinese equipment dose not meet these specs. A big offender is compact fluorescent light bulbs. this stuff is not suppose to interfere with communications equipment. police, fire and amateur radio ect.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As the pinpointer is both reciever and transmitter, it must comply to FCC rules pettaining to transmitters and recievers. That's how I read it... That said, my TRX has been working just fine.

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every radio transmitter you own has this written in it, most likely. The largest one that probably contains the whole message is your garage door remote control. It's a standard FCC thing.

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup every consumer radio transmitter or receiver is required to have this message. Not just Whites. RCA, Sony all of them.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are POTENTIAL problems with any pinpointer or detector. It's seldom that one ever has a serious problem unless you love to detect under power lines or near transformers etc.
luvsdux

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Pinenut,
It is more than just if your equipment is operating fine. What that means is any interference to your equipment has to be accepted by you and it is not allowed to interfere with anything else that is licensed. It's the F.C.C.'s way of telling you you have basically no rights if there's any trouble getting or giving interference. Your equipment can be operating just as the manufacturer built it to, but if you were to interfere with a radio transmitter you will be expected to stop as soon as you become aware of it or you could face equipment forfeiture, fines, &/or imprisonment. Usually it does not get that far, but can happen.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst thing I've found to interfere with my detector is those invisible dog fences, it could even be a few yards from where I'm detecting and if I'm close enough I get three different bouncing faint VDI's. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread