Is the Garrett Propointer 2 more sensitive than the original?

UnderWhere?

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2016
SouthWestern PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm trying to determine which Garrett pointer would be best, the original Pro, Pro 2, or Carrot? The features list of the Pro 2 tout "more durable and sensitive". I won't be using the pointer at the shore, in creeks, or anywhere near water. Has anyone used all 3 models and can help me decide? Thanks.

Rich

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had all three, don't think the II is more sensitive than original. I prefer the II over my at simply because it has a quicker "turn off" and I don't play in the water. At, you have to hold the button a tad longer to turn it off. The sensitivity/sound options are cool on the AT but I don't need them, nice to know that they are there if I do. And the on/off button definitely more stout on the AT and II than the original.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I purchased a Carrot so that I could give my cousin the pro pointer. And I wanted to see for myself if there were any difference in sensitivity.

I put a zincoln on my desk with a plastic ruler beside it. The Carrot beeped 1/4" further from the coin than the pro pointer. Did it several times consistently. So, yes it was slightly more sensitive.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the carrot on its lowest setting is equal to the pp II? Thought he was asking about II and original.

OP
OP
U

UnderWhere?

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2016
SouthWestern PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre 8"
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry for the confusion, subject line is PP vs PP2, but also included the carrot in the thread as an after thought. Think I'm going to go with the PP2. Thanks guys.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my carrot. On really deep targets I can adjust the sensitivity to make sure I'm centered. I've had a few deep targets that did not register on "mid" sensitivity (once the plug was removed). Adjusting the sensitivity to high picked up the target.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Same here, love my carrot so much, I got rid of my heavy SunRay X1 probe. so much lighter just to carry on belt or in pocket. And it is very adjustable. I do the same as jadocs.........NGE

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes the new orange pin pointer is more sensitive. No falsing issues either.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I am finding that without de-sensitizing the probe that it detects very well around the sides, so much so, that I have a hard time locating my target outside the hole. nge

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If someone is looking for the Orange AT Pointer be sure to call or email us for special pricing/codes and free priority shipping! :occasion14:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have one of each Garrett pp. I like the pp2 best cause it turns on and off easiest. But it gives the low battery alarm and when I test it it's still ok. It runs Ok I will only on almost new battery's. Anyone else notice this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions